cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6D low light video

StreetFighter
Contributor

Hello,

I'm trying to shoot video in low light and I'm getting some extra hue and contrast.  When I shoot stills, what I see on the screen is what I see on my computer.  When I flip over to video (with out changing ISO or WB settings) the images are darker and have a green hue.

I need what I'm seeing on the screen of the camera to be what I see on my computer monitor after I download of the card. 

Any ideas?

Current setting: Exp 1/30, ISO 8000, WB 3200, f-stop 2.8

What I've tried: IPB and All-I compression, different SD cards rated for different speeds, formatting the card with the camera, and shrinking still images to 1920X1280 - Same results ever case

11 REPLIES 11

@Skirball wrote:

I don't know about you, but my stills (RAW) are always darker than they are on my camera (6D); which is a jpg and might be part of the source.  It wasn't near as noticable on my 450D.   I just learned to adapt my eye and I check my histogram anyway.  But I'd say the actual image looks about a 1/2 stop darker on my computer than the camera.  I don't think it's abnormal to have small differences between the camera screen and computer.  THere are too many variables to deal with to be consistent.

The most obvious explanation for that phenomenon (which means that you've probably already considered it and ruled it out) is that you've turned up the brightness of the camera's display screen. That setting is independent of all else, and it's easy to turn it up when the ambient light is high and then later forget that you did it. And maybe you didn't have the screen turned up as high on your 450D.

Also, of course, even a RAW image gets darker if subjected to any white balance correction (because that correction can only subtract, not add, light). I'd expect the screen to display the corrected image, but conceivably it doesn't.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Skirball wrote:

I don't know about you, but my stills (RAW) are always darker than they are on my camera (6D); which is a jpg and might be part of the source.  It wasn't near as noticable on my 450D.   I just learned to adapt my eye and I check my histogram anyway.  But I'd say the actual image looks about a 1/2 stop darker on my computer than the camera.  I don't think it's abnormal to have small differences between the camera screen and computer.  THere are too many variables to deal with to be consistent.

The most obvious explanation for that phenomenon (which means that you've probably already considered it and ruled it out) is that you've turned up the brightness of the camera's display screen. That setting is independent of all else, and it's easy to turn it up when the ambient light is high and then later forget that you did it. And maybe you didn't have the screen turned up as high on your 450D.

Also, of course, even a RAW image gets darker if subjected to any white balance correction (because that correction can only subtract, not add, light). I'd expect the screen to display the corrected image, but conceivably it doesn't.

Yes, that was the first thing that crossed my mind, but not just that the setting was turned up, but that the display is simply brighter.  Although my old 450D seemed to be closer to the actual exposure it was terrible in the shadows.  Things would look black on the camera but I'd still have detail on the actual photo.  

I didn't bother looking for a brightness setting on my 6D for several reasons.  1) the brightness is really nice when you're out in bright sunlight; 2) I recognize there are far too many variables to expect any consistency between a small jpg with settings applied on a 3" backlit LCD to a full sized RAW file on a calibrated IPS monitor in a dim room; 3) I check my historgram constantly,  I never trust what I see on the image, it's just a preview to get you in the ballpark; and 4) the IQ and recovery on the 6D is so good that I know if the image looks decent on the camera then I'll be able to make it work in post.

Announcements