cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6D gave me really blurry photos?

Sophós
Apprentice

Hello everyone.

I'm posting here hoping to find someone who can help me.

I recently got a 6D mark 2 to shoot my videos and it was all fine. Last night I was asked to take some photos during a meeting but I immediatly saw the lack of quality in all of them. I can't explain this absence of details even in the darkest enviroment or with the slowest shutter...

IMG_7790b.jpg

141 REPLIES 141

"Cropping" mode does exist on the 6D Mark II camera.  To find it, do the following:  

1) Press "Menu"

2) Scroll to the right until you get to the blue controls.

3) Scroll further to "2" and you will see "Cropping" listed as the first option.

@AndreaW wrote:

"Cropping" mode does exist on the 6D Mark II camera.  To find it, do the following:  

1) Press "Menu"

2) Scroll to the right until you get to the blue controls.

3) Scroll further to "2" and you will see "Cropping" listed as the first option.

That cropping mode is only used with jpegs to crop AFTER the photo is taken.  The EOS RP has the same feature, BUT it also has a very different crop mode that allows you to set a crop mode BEFORE the photo is taken. 

_001.jpg 

_001a.jpg

Mike Sowsun

"Cropping" mode does exist on the 6D Mark II camera.  To find it, do the following:"

I never owned a 6D (original) but I think the addition and improvement on the 6D Mk II was the introduction of 4:3, 1:1 square and 16:9 crop modes in addition to the native 3:2 image size, and I believe that is what you are referring too. It is not the same thing because the 6 series cameras can not use the ef-s crop line of lenses.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Although someone may have claimed "problem solved" it is not the case or cause of blurry pictures.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I went back into my camera and found the "cropping" mode, however, my camera was not on that setting.  But thank you for the thought because you have caused me to look deeper into the camera's setting to see if the camera is on a setting I am not aware of that may differ from the 6D model that is causing this effect in my photos that are taken in low-lit environments.

@bethybarra wrote:

I know it's been about a year at this point, did you ever figure out the issue? I am having the exact same problem and it is extremely frustrating and the people responding on here sound a little rude and condescending when they genuinely do not seem to understand the issue. Like you said, I did not have this problem on my other camera it has absolutely nothing to do with skill. It almost looks like the camera is trying to smooth out the photo itself and it completely takes away any quality in the photo. I really really want to like this camera but that issue is making it so hard for me to and I haven't seen a single helpful comment, it's just people being insulting. I don't want to sound ungrateful, I get that people are just trying to help but I genuinely believe this has nothing to do with the way the photos are being taken. The fact that we are only having this problem on this camera specifically should tell people it is not the photographer. If anyone at all has figured it out please help!

Were your other cameras full frame cameras?

On a sunny day, use AV mode set your camera to f/16 go outside and take a photo. When you do that are you still having an issue?

It is possibly a rolling shutter issue.

This is helpful; thank you.

I don't want to say you don't have a problem, just not sure I understand what it is.  It would help with a well lit photo because if that is ok, then the problem may be with sometning at low light, slow shutter, ...  Just saying it would help with analysis.

@AndreaW wrote:

That's lovely, really it is.  But that is not the issue I am having.  I know the importance of lighting and I know I shot in a low lit environment and I know all about "motion blur", "noise", etc. 

The blurry items in the snake photo have nothing to do with 'motion blur' or 'noise'. The blurry things in the snake photo are completely Depth of Field related.

Announcements