cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6D gave me really blurry photos?

Sophós
Apprentice

Hello everyone.

I'm posting here hoping to find someone who can help me.

I recently got a 6D mark 2 to shoot my videos and it was all fine. Last night I was asked to take some photos during a meeting but I immediatly saw the lack of quality in all of them. I can't explain this absence of details even in the darkest enviroment or with the slowest shutter...

IMG_7790b.jpg

141 REPLIES 141

Did you ever find out what the problem was? I'm having this same exact issue!

...and all the people gaslighting and being condescending in these comments is SO lame. Like, it's not a flex that they can't see the problem that we're CLEARLY seeing. maybe they just don't have "the eye" 😉

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

I don't think anyone is going to be able to help you understand what you are seeing when they don't also see it.

You have found a solution that works for you - a different camera. 

I think we should just move on. The resale value of your 6D II will probably never be higher than it is today. 

We're on the 10th screen of this thread, but in truth it should have been closed and marked as solved after the 4th post, where Waddizzle stated the obvious: "Sorry, I still am not convinced there is anything wrong with your gear.  Explore the web searches that I suggested."

cool but i don't trust him. i AM convinced there is something wrong with the gear. stating this over and over again is really not helping.

Hi. Thanks so much for being a member of the Canon Community Forum. 

The Community Members in this thread have attempted to assist the OP and others find answers for their issues to no avail. At this point, we're going to ask if anyone is experiencing what they view to be inadequate images from their gear to send the gear to our Factory Service Center for an evaluation.

Our team will use precision Canon lenses on your Canon body to ensure your gear meets factory specifications. If it's found that your gear is out of spec, we will let you know. If it's found that your gear is in spec, you may want to explore other options, such as the lens you're using, or your shooting method(s), as all camera bodies are not the same from generation to generation. If you need shooting advice, our Support Team can help. They're at 1-800-OK-CANON. 

You'll find the steps to send your gear to us on our site HERE, and in your My Canon Account HERE

FYI, the only people who speak for Canon, and are on the Canon payroll have the Canon logo in their avatar. You'll find this information in the Forum Guidelines (which you would have agreed to when you signed up for the Canon Community Forums).

Thank you for choosing Canon, and have a great day! 

"BTW, I have no intent on stopping to comment on this thread"

AndreaW,

Good luck with that one.  The forum has an "ignore" feature that works...sometimes. You might try that, I did.

I do agree with Stephen,

"The Community Members in this thread have attempted to assist the OP and others find answers for their issues to no avail. At this point, we're going to ask if anyone is experiencing what they view to be inadequate images from their gear to send the gear to our Factory Service Center for an evaluation."

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ivasale
Contributor

Did you ever figure this out? It's wild to me that people are gaslighting you and don't see what you're describing! I've noticed the same thing with my 6D mark ii and it bothers me SO much! It's so hard to explain, but the parts of the photo that are poorly lit look....digitally smudged, not just out of focus. it looks as if the camera tried to digitally smooth the areas it couldn't register. I definitely did not experience this with my previous camera, the 7D. It's really confusing that people can't see the problem.

Thank you for pointing out the bad behavior of some of these people people. It’s hard to imagine that people would have such poor attitudes in a user support forum.  🙂  

You described perfectly the issue. It’s like I would get random blotches in a photo. Literally, blotches.  It definitely is not a depth of field issue or motion blur .  It’s weird.  Unfortunately, I was never able to completely resolve the issue; however, I was able to make it a little better by adjusting settings in my camera. And honestly, I can’t even tell you what it was I adjusted in my camera, because I tweaked all sorts of stuff. Therefore, it’s something inside of your camera, the settings, that need to be adjusted.  However, I still do not trust this camera in low-lit environments for important shoots. 

I am guessing that if enough people have this issue, then somebody will actually come up with the way to resolve it. In the meantime, good luck to you and happy shooting!

It definitely is a DEPTH OF FIELD ISSUE.

@TTMartin wrote:

It definitely is a DEPTH OF FIELD ISSUE.

I concur.  A focus plane can clearly be seen.  The focus point seems to be the nearest corner of the eyeglasses, which is close to the center of the image.

Moving to the right, the left ear is within the DoF.  Moving to the left there is nothing but empty space.  But, if you toward the left and straight down, the pants a almost tack sharp.  You can almost count the threads.

A62413A1-16F0-403D-B803-0262D64956F1.jpeg

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I think what they're talking about is what is shown there in the pant leg. It's a bit janky (being nice). Yes, we know what this is, its a noise reduction algorithm. We know that, but not everyone knows that. There are many methods to reduce noise, and Canon uses this one which is pretty trashy for 2017 much less 2023. The thing is, people who could change this don't because they see it as acceptable. But, if you ask me... I don't think noise should be this severe, ever, and it's because of the debayering process that it shouldn't. My opinion: debayering should reduce noise in the image but our cameras still show a lot of noise at high ISO. Why are they retaining that noise when each pixel is essentially super sampled for its final color value? The odds of a single pixel being a lot brighter or darker than neighboring pixels is so low... Now they're trying to tell us we need AI to remove noise when it can be removed with the same algorithm used for debayering just applied to luminance. Some may say, well, what about star photos? Will that algorithm affect them? Well, I've never seen a star photo where a star appeared as a single white pixel. Never. I don't know if there is a lens that can put down that much contrast into a space only a few microns in size. All of them have some diffusion partially due to the aperture, partially due to chromatic aberrations, partially due to a internal scattering, flares, etc. There are a lot of reasons why keeping one aberrant pixel super bright is completely ridiculous and yet I see it all the time in my EOS R5.

Announcements