Canon Community Canon Community

Occasional Contributor

Re: 6D gave me really blurry photos?

The picture below I took with my 6D.  Had I taken that same shot using my 6D Mark II then the hands on the guy on the right would have been very fuzzy.  Again, the issue I am having is that I get heavy "fuzziness" where there is less light.

Musician

Respected Contributor

@AndreaW wrote:

I'm glad you posted the picture of the musician because it illustrates a lot of what I am talking about.  Take a look at his left hand -- not the hand with the obvious motion blur.  Do you see the fuzziness on his hand?  I am getting that fuzziness wherever the lighting isn't strong -- even when the musician ISN'T MOVING.  That is the issue, not the motion blur.  Smiley Happy

By the way, great color in that photo!  It's a shame his hands came out looking that way as his right hand looks deformed with all of the blur.  It could have really been a nice shot. 

I'm convinced that TTMartin is right.  It's all depth of field.  When the light is low, your camera sets your aperture to a low value and that effects the depth of field, making the DOF shallow...blurring both the area in front and behind the point of focus.

By the way I thought Tom's musician shot was gorgeous...in that case I would not have liked it as much if the hands were razor sharp. Them being blurred conveyed the motion and the energy behind it...the musician was moving his hands after all, not frozen like a wax figure in real life.

If you continue with photography, one of these days, you will revisit this thread and have a good healthy laugh at your comments in here...this reminds me of a  guy I know...when he first started out taking pictures, he complained bitterly about the background in his pictures being too blurred and I had to show him how to get them to not blurred.  Now after a few years, he pays thousands to buy lenses that will do that for him...

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@AndreaW wrote:

The picture below I took with my 6D.  Had I taken that same shot using my 6D Mark II then the hands on the guy on the right would have been very fuzzy.  Again, the issue I am having is that I get heavy "fuzziness" where there is less light.

Your subjective evaluation of here's a photo I took with my 6D that wouldn't look good on my 6D Mk II isn't really helpful. Posting images from your 6D Mk II that illustrate your issue is really the only way to do it.

Did you happen to get new lenses or start using different lenses when you got your 6D Mk II?

Going from a lens with a maximum aperture of f/4 like the EF 24-105 f/4L IS to a EF 85mm f/1.8, EF 50mm f/1.8 STM, or EF 24-70 f/2.8L would all reduce your depth of field and produce what you might view as unexpected results.