cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6D gave me really blurry photos?

Sophós
Apprentice

Hello everyone.

I'm posting here hoping to find someone who can help me.

I recently got a 6D mark 2 to shoot my videos and it was all fine. Last night I was asked to take some photos during a meeting but I immediatly saw the lack of quality in all of them. I can't explain this absence of details even in the darkest enviroment or with the slowest shutter...

IMG_7790b.jpg

141 REPLIES 141

@TTMartin wrote:

@AndreaW wrote:

That's lovely, really it is.  But that is not the issue I am having.  I know the importance of lighting and I know I shot in a low lit environment and I know all about "motion blur", "noise", etc. 

The blurry items in the snake photo have nothing to do with 'motion blur' or 'noise'. The blurry things in the snake photo are completely Depth of Field related.

From what I can tell from the snake picture, if the focus point was on the snake's head,  the camera front focuses.  The twig in front is a lot clearer and appears to be in focus.  The whole picture is kinda blurry though (not enough contrast).  You might want to check the focus and either send the camera in or do an AFMA adjustment.

Having said that, like TTMartin said, it's mostly depth of field...also you must open your mind to others' comments.  You gave very little description, turn off your exif data on your picture.  Your vague description pointed to user's techniques.  We are guessing blind here so don't get mad at us.  Even if our offered guesses indeed do not address your problem, they will help in eliminating possibilities, thus isolate the real cause.  If the problem happened to one of the people here like myself or TTMartin, we would have found it ourselves already or at least can articulate it.  

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

@diverhank wrote:

From what I can tell from the snake picture, if the focus point was on the snake's head,  the camera front focuses.  The twig in front is a lot clearer and appears to be in focus.  The whole picture is kinda blurry though (not enough contrast).  You might want to check the focus and either send the camera in or do an AFMA adjustment.

The snake photo was mine. The focus might have been slightly forward of the snakes head. The point I was making was that the leaves were out of focus because they were in front of the range of acceptable focus. I think the posters weren't realizing Deoth of Field impacts things both in front of and behind the plane of focus.

I don't know if anyone noticed but the original poster "Sophós" only posted on the first page and then only twice.  This is a very interesting set of posts, but are we really solving the problem.  Are more than a single person having the problem?  Focus and DOF are very interesting and complex subject and obviously somewhat controversial.  BTW nice to see a number of great photos in the posts.

@TTMartin wrote:
Depth of field will impact the sharpness both in front of and behind the plane of focus. 

This video should help you understand Depth of Field

Digital Photography 1 on 1: Episode 12 Depth of Field

AndreaW
Enthusiast
Yep, I see what you are saying about the guy’s hair on the right. I think there is a camera defect. I no longer use this camera for shoots because it is too unpredictable with that problem. I am very disappointed that I purchased this camera. 😞

AndreaW
Enthusiast
Ignacio, thank you! No one seems to understand the issue I was trying to convey. Instead, they thought I was trying to figure out why part of my image was out of focus. That was not the issue. The issue is why the part that is out of focus, which in some circumstances you expect it to be, sometimes has a “watercolor” effect, thereby, making the image appear unnatural. Again, I think there is some sort of defect in this camera as I have adjusted everything inside of it possible to eliminate that problem, but to no avail.

AndreaW, exactly, this "watercolor" effect on out of focus area has never happened to me in any canon cameras with any lenses ive used. This is why i tested all my lenses in all of my other cameras, and the only one that gives this issue is the 6dmkII

Have you performed an A-B comparison between the 6D and 6D Mark II with the Sigma 35mm lens?

The Sigma lens has very strong vignetting at f/1.4 that extends well into the frame. See the f/stop comparison in this review:

https://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Sigma-35mm-f-1.4-EX-DG-HSM-Lens-Review.aspx

Could that be the effect you are seeing, rather than some issue with the camera model?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

John and Rodger, thanks for replying again.

But unfortunately the answer of both cases is no and no.

John, ive compared the sigma on my 5d mark II and my 6D II, i even compared it to my old 6d, and this ONLY happens with the 6d mark II.

Rodger, again.. jpeg has nothing to do with it, like ive said on the previous posts, ive compared it to my other cameras and this only happened on my 6d mark ii, BOTH in jpg and raw files, ive shot in RAW, RAW + JPG, and JPG alone and this is always the same result.

I know you are trying to be helpful, but i am starting to feel like andrea. Trust us when we say we indeed know what we're talking about, and this is a problem of the camera. 

Its not a vignette issue, its not a jpg issue, and its certainly not a depht of field issue.

The way I see it, you have been asked for exposure settings and failed [to] provide it.  This means  your complaints lack merit. Your opinions are NOT facts.  If you have no facts, then your complaints lack merit.  End of story.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements