cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6D cannot communicate with battery

ksummerford80
Apprentice

So i have a 6d i have had for 5 years or so now. I have shot over 200 weddings with it and never had this kind of issue. I sent into cannon last year around April and had a new shutter put in b/c mine had 150k clicks on it.  I have both canon brand and off brand batteries. Suddenly at my grandfathers 80th birthday the other night it said "cannot communicate with the battery" i tried all 3 of my batteries. It allowed me to hit ok and take pictures anyway. Today I cleaned the contacts on everything still no help. I even watched a video on how to fix this in the 7d by taking the bottom panel off and looking for a screw that may have fallen out. Nope 6D looks diffrent inside and the only screw in the green board was in place. So i am at a loss. I do not want to spend 300$ to have cannon fix this if its just something minor like a loose screw. (plus it takes 6 weks to get it back and they reset all my saved sattings last time.) No it has not gotten wet or damaged since the last time it was working properly. I have been looking all over the internet and have only found people talking about it in 7d and 60d. well there was one lady on this forum but she admited to getting it wet??? Any help is apprieciated. thanks

5 REPLIES 5

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@ksummerford80 wrote:

So i have a 6d i have had for 5 years or so now. I have shot over 200 weddings with it and never had this kind of issue. I sent into cannon last year around April and had a new shutter put in b/c mine had 150k clicks on it.  I have both canon brand and off brand batteries. Suddenly at my grandfathers 80th birthday the other night it said "cannot communicate with the battery" i tried all 3 of my batteries. It allowed me to hit ok and take pictures anyway. Today I cleaned the contacts on everything still no help. I even watched a video on how to fix this in the 7d by taking the bottom panel off and looking for a screw that may have fallen out. Nope 6D looks diffrent inside and the only screw in the green board was in place. So i am at a loss. I do not want to spend 300$ to have cannon fix this if its just something minor like a loose screw. (plus it takes 6 weks to get it back and they reset all my saved sattings last time.) No it has not gotten wet or damaged since the last time it was working properly. I have been looking all over the internet and have only found people talking about it in 7d and 60d. well there was one lady on this forum but she admited to getting it wet??? Any help is apprieciated. thanks

What version of camera firmware are you running?  That could explain the comm failure with third party batteries.  If your genuine Canon batteries are also showing the error, they may just simply be old.  Battery life expectancy is about 3-5 years, but it also depends upon how many recharge cycles they experience, too.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

i have no idea about filmware.what ever it came with. I have been through maybe 6 batteries over the years with 3 still in good condition. i can usually shoot a 7 hour wedding with one fully charged battery no problem. its strange that all of a sudden all 3 batteries have issues.. or its the camera. It had been sitting in the camrera back since my last wedding after i took all the batteries out of everthing etc. it was fine on the 22nd then on 30th boom.

@ksummerford80 wrote:

i have no idea about filmware.what ever it came with. I have been through maybe 6 batteries over the years with 3 still in good condition. i can usually shoot a 7 hour wedding with one fully charged battery no problem. its strange that all of a sudden all 3 batteries have issues.. or its the camera. It had been sitting in the camrera back since my last wedding after i took all the batteries out of everthing etc. it was fine on the 22nd then on 30th boom.

If Canon reset your settings when you had it serviced, they may have also updated the firmware, too.  

I agree, that it is curious that all three batteries would suddenly have issues.  But, have you used all of them in the camera since it was serviced?  A new battery wouldn’t hurt, just as long as it is a genuine Canon.  I would contact Canon support, anyway.

yes i have used all 3, shot about 10 weddings since they put in the new shutter. I really don't pay attention to the which ones i put in. They get rotated around a good bit. At the 80th bday.. it said this error with one so i put in a diffrent one and it was fine then the other day i had to snap some of my son for his doctor and none of them would communicate. Honestly all the ones i threw out was due to issues not charging all the way. I guess i will contact them about filmware.

@ksummerford80 wrote:

yes i have used all 3, shot about 10 weddings since they put in the new shutter. I really don't pay attention to the which ones i put in. They get rotated around a good bit. At the 80th bday.. it said this error with one so i put in a diffrent one and it was fine then the other day i had to snap some of my son for his doctor and none of them would communicate. Honestly all the ones i threw out was due to issues not charging all the way. I guess i will contact them about filmware.

You can look in the menu and see the firmware version, but knowing it is not going to change anything.  Sounds like your camera is bad.  Check the battery slot for foreign objects, though.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements