cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6D Wifi Continuous Connection

mehmetbozatli
Contributor

Hi,

I have a 6D mounted on the ceiling... I have it set up to connect to my wifi router, and I have it plugged into a wall outlet.

I use eos utility to connect to it and do my remote shooting..

sometimes the camera will stay connected for days, sometimes the connection will have  dropped when I get back into work the next day.

I want the connection TO ALWAYS BE AVAILABLE...

otherwise I have to climb up the ladder, remote access my desktop from my phone, reset the wifi on the camera, and pair on the desktop from my remote app, in order to get back to shooting... it's dangerous and annoying.

any work-arounds?

11 REPLIES 11

mehmetbozatli,

I suggest you follow Wadizzle's suggestion.  He's not making an arbitrarily recommendation.  This is a culmination of his years of experience as a photographer and IT Professional.  He's recommending you remove those variables that might fail and improve your chances for success.  If you go with a wired solution, you're not going to have to climb ladders to reset a wireless connection.  You will probably need something powered (repeater), since USB runs over 16 ft don't do well.  Your use case is less than ideal, and while other possible solutions might exist, a wired connection will be the most reliable.  What you do with this information is up to you. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

@Waddizzle wrote:

@mehmetbozatli wrote:
Actually, there are few unknowns...
The only unknown is whether or not the 6D is capable of maintaining a connection to a PC directly or indirectly through a router, without irregularly timed physical manipulation of the buttons on the 6D. This can only be answered by someone at Canon, or someone who has experienced my issue, and has generated a solution.

You do not know that the 6D is dropping the connection.  It could be your router, which I suspect is the most likely culprit.  isolating the blame is not worth the trouble.  Go with a wired solution, via USB.  Power up wil always wake the connection.  Besides, a USB connection is faster than Wi-Fi.

Is the camera functioning as an access point or as a client? If the latter is an option, you don't need a router at all - just an access point connected to a multi-port switch to which the PC is also connected. That's a simpler circuit and might prove more reliable.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements