cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6D W/ 70-200mm II lens Shooting a wrestling tournament Low light Best Settings?

WrestlingDad
Apprentice

Just got camera this week, haven't had time to play with it yet, any help would be great.

6 REPLIES 6

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Gonna be tough without seeing the venue.  But basically you will need a faster shutter so it is going to get preference.  Besides that how close are you to the action?  Where you shoot from is by fat the most important variable in setting up for a shot.  Your location is going to determine the focal length you can use.  You have the best lens made so that is a huge plus.

Can I assume this is a school gym?  Typical lighting?

I would start with the 6D set on Tv for shutter priority.  Maybe 1/500, perhaps 1/250 would work.  But favoring the higher if light allows.  ISO at 1600 for starters.  This setting will let the 6D determine the aperture automatically for you.  Making one setting easier for you!

But the best thing you can do is to go early and try it first.  A willing subject would be nice to help set it up a bit.  See what your exact situation will demand.

It will be impossible for anyone to give you exact settings without seeing it.  But these will likely be close.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Good advice from Ernie.  If you're new at this, then a sturdy tripod or monopod will be a must have.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Tv 1/250 or 1/500 or M 1/250 or 1/500 and f/2.8, but, in either case I would use Auto ISO.

Be sure you have Image Stabilization on the lens set to ON.

I have your camera and your lens.  I agree with everything ebiggs wrote.  

Tv setting.  

Shutter probably minimum 1/320 or so.  

ISO as high as it needs to be in order to give you that shutter speed without being underexposed.  Maybe ISO 1600, but probably higher than that.

Hopefully your school spent some money on great lighting, to make your life easier.

Shoot RAW in case you need to push the exposure a bit, and to help you get better noise reduction.  

Try to frame tightly, to avoid having to crop much.  High ISO robs you of detail and that lack of fine detail gets worse (and noise gets bigger) when you crop the image.

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

@ScottyP wrote:

ISO as high as it needs to be in order to give you that shutter speed without being underexposed.  

Which is exactly what Auto ISO does automatically. 

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Shoot RAW ... "  Smiley Happy

Absolutely, thanx for mentioning this.  Always shoot RAW but it will require the use of a post editor.  It is seamless, however.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements