cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6D SD card slot malfunction

Hchill21
Contributor

Hey I've had my Canon 6D for about 3 years now. While shooting a day long session I went to replace my SD card to find that the second card would not click into the camera. I ended up having to shove it in and close the door on the card to make sure it closed. It said "no card" on the screen at first so I did it again, this time it read the card no problem. But what could be the reason why after 3 years it just stopped clicking the card into place? do I need to send it in for repair?

5 REPLIES 5

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@Hchill21 wrote:

Hey I've had my Canon 6D for about 3 years now. While shooting a day long session I went to replace my SD card to find that the second card would not click into the camera. I ended up having to shove it in and close the door on the card to make sure it closed. It said "no card" on the screen at first so I did it again, this time it read the card no problem. But what could be the reason why after 3 years it just stopped clicking the card into place? do I need to send it in for repair?

It was probably a mistake to "shove it in and close the door".  Are you using full size SD cards, or micro-SD cards with adapters?  You should only use the full size cards.

Have you looked inside of the card compartment for any foreign objects?  Cards have been known to fail.  Make sure that you turn off power before changing your SD cards.  Always low level format them inside of the camera prior to first use.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

thanks for the response. there is no foreign object and I'm only using full-size SD cards. I almost always turn off before switching but who knows, if I made that mistake, I was ina real rush mid-shoot. At this point the card is reading fine, it doesn't seem corrupt it seems to be a problem with the slot itself because it won't click in any card of any type. but you can push it all the way in, no problem.  

@Hchill21 wrote:

If it's like others I've seen, the card slot is spring loaded. The card clicks into place when you push it down; when you push it again, the spring pops it up. Possibly the spring has been broken or pushed out of place. Unless you're pretty deft with small tools, it probably needs professional repair.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

yeah that definitely seems to be the problem I will take it somewhere local and see if they can fix it. thanks so much for your answer. 

Even if the spring is faulty you may still be able to use it.  It will be more difficult to get the SD card out though.

"Make sure that you turn off power before changing your SD cards.  Always low level format them inside of the camera prior to first use."

Neither of these caused your problem nor do they really ever cause one. On the once in a blue moon chance it might, I always favor in turning the camera off before switching memory cards.

It might be a best practice to low level format a SD card upon first use but it isn't really necessary.  ANd it can be a pain if you do it on a SD card that is in use. Basically the standard format deletes the file allocation table. However, images or files on the card can be recovered using a recovery tool because they are mostly left alone..  If ever that need may arises you will thank me.  I would use standard format most of the time.

Low Level format format supposedly fills all the space on the card with zeros. 

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements