cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6D Markii auto-focus issues

Namra38
Contributor
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone might have any insight in an issue I have been having with a 6Dmii that I purchased at the end of August. I have been a long time Canon user and previously was using the Canon 6D as my main body (still have it). When I upgraded to the Markii I was excited for the fast frame rate and focus points. However, every lens that I use on the new body needs to be micro-adjusted, and not just by 2-3 clicks, it is requiring a negative 9-11 adjustment for each lens which I would consider excessive. All the same lenses work perfect with no adjustments needed on my old 6D body.

List of lenses:
Tamron 24-70f2.8
Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 Di VC USD
Canon 100-400 f4.5-5.6 (Mark i)
Sigma Art 50mm f1.4

I have used online micro-adjustment tutorials to adjust each lens and am still noticing very slow speeds in AI Servo mode. My 6D has a much higher percentage of in-focus images with a subject that is moving quickly towards the camera. The Markii has been very frustrating to use, especially when I have the Marki that I have had no issues with that I can compare side by side.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
41 REPLIES 41

@Namra38 wrote:
Thank you for the information! What is the process of sending something into Canon? I have never done it before

In the US, call 1-800-OK-CANON.  There is also a web site link that you can use, too, to set up a return authorization ticket.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Call Canon and tell them you want to send it in for a repair issue and it is still under warranty. They will provide you with paperwork to include with it and you must also provide a copy of your receipt of purchase to prove it is under warranty still, which they didn't bother to tell me the first time and they wanted to charge me for repair.

When I receive my camera back, I will let you know if the issue is corrected.

Tracey

annamaria
Apprentice
I'm getting 5D Mark IV. Waiting for delivery.

Hi,

I have a 6D mk2 that I purchased in November and only have Canon lens. I seem to have bad auto focus and the depth of field is very small even at f19.

DrSteven
Apprentice

Hello,

Have you tried turning-off the lens aberration correction in Shoot menu #1?   [ ...turn all the available settings in the sub-menu to off ]

This feature is specifically for use with Canon lenses, to correct JPEGs 'in camera' and RAW images when processed in Canon's Digital Photo Professional software.

It's been reported that it can be problematic on the 6D mkii (and other recent Canons, incl. the original 6D) for third-party lenses from Tamron and Sigma. See these links:

http://www.tamron.eu/uk/service/service-news/

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3612861 

https://www.dpreview.com/news/8327651556/sigma-warns-of-aberration-bug-affecting-some-of-its-lenses-...

[Removed link per Forum Community Guidelines]

Hope this helps!

My 6D Mark ii wasn't consistently focusing with any of my lenses - 2 canon and 1 tamron. I sent it to Canon, the auto-focus mechanism was "out of position" they said. I received it back and it was better; however, it still was never sharp where my focal point was. Kept trying lens adjustments for back/front focus and I just gave up.  I'm not spending that much $ and not be able to shoot confidently. I returned the camera. I am considering ordering another and give the body one more try. 

I have also communicated with Tamron because it didn't play friendly (the most) with that lens. There solution is as you stated or to also send it in for a firmware update. If I get a new one, I'll see if it does the same with the Tamron.

Thanks for the info -

Tracey

@TraceyCarol wrote:

My 6D Mark ii wasn't consistently focusing with any of my lenses - 2 canon and 1 tamron. I sent it to Canon, the auto-focus mechanism was "out of position" they said. I received it back and it was better; however, it still was never sharp where my focal point was. Kept trying lens adjustments for back/front focus and I just gave up.  I'm not spending that much $ and not be able to shoot confidently. I returned the camera. I am considering ordering another and give the body one more try. 

I have also communicated with Tamron because it didn't play friendly (the most) with that lens. There solution is as you stated or to also send it in for a firmware update. If I get a new one, I'll see if it does the same with the Tamron.

Thanks for the info -

Tracey

I don't realize that a camera can be returned after sending in for repair. Learn something everyday.

I'm sure it depends on the company's return policy. I explained the situation and they allowed me to return it. I was most definitely grateful! 🙂

Namra38
Contributor
I ended up sending mine in to get serviced, I heard back yesterday that there was an issue with the focusing mechanism:
The Canon Factory Service Center found that the imaging sensor assembly was out of position causing the focus to operate improperly. The flange was adjusted and an auto focus adjustment was performed. Camera functions were also confirmed.

I will hopefully be getting it back tomorrow.

That was the same with mine. I still wasn't please when I got it back and have returned it. I hope it works out for you!!

Announcements