cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6D Markii auto-focus issues

Namra38
Contributor
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone might have any insight in an issue I have been having with a 6Dmii that I purchased at the end of August. I have been a long time Canon user and previously was using the Canon 6D as my main body (still have it). When I upgraded to the Markii I was excited for the fast frame rate and focus points. However, every lens that I use on the new body needs to be micro-adjusted, and not just by 2-3 clicks, it is requiring a negative 9-11 adjustment for each lens which I would consider excessive. All the same lenses work perfect with no adjustments needed on my old 6D body.

List of lenses:
Tamron 24-70f2.8
Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 Di VC USD
Canon 100-400 f4.5-5.6 (Mark i)
Sigma Art 50mm f1.4

I have used online micro-adjustment tutorials to adjust each lens and am still noticing very slow speeds in AI Servo mode. My 6D has a much higher percentage of in-focus images with a subject that is moving quickly towards the camera. The Markii has been very frustrating to use, especially when I have the Marki that I have had no issues with that I can compare side by side.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
41 REPLIES 41

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I have had no focus issues.  There has been a firmware update, which addressed compatibility issues, not AF issues.  You have a gaggle of third party lenses, whereas all of my main lenses are all Canon “L” lenses.

The camera is under warranty, so send it to Canon, and ask them to check the AFMA.  

The Christmas holiday season is not the best time of the year to send gear in for repair.  They have an increase in sales, and a corresponding increase in service requests.  What would normally take 10-14 days to turn around will easily double that amount of time.  

Plus, there is a double holiday coming up, Christmas and New Year, which is probably the worst case scenario.  I once sent a camera body in during the second week of December, and did not get it back until the third week in January.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

You can try a complete reset and set up from scratch.  However, given your time with the 6D, you are probably in a good position to evaluate if something isn't right with the new body.  Doesn't seem right that every single lens you own including Canon has to be adjusted.  

With you only being 3 months into ownership, you might want to consider having the body checked by Canon to confirm nothing is wrong with the camera.  If you call, I'll bet they are willing to help.

***Wadizzel posted a head of me.  My neighbor just popped over while I was responding.  Same recommendation

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

TraceyCarol
Contributor

Hi -

I had the same issue. I am a long time Canon user and just purchased the 6D Mark ii at the end of November. I primarily use three lenses and all three had to be micro adjusted - one up to -14 and still wasn't focusing properly. Two of my lenses are Canons.

Canon 50mm 1.8

Canon 70-200mm 2.8

Tamron 24-70mm 2.8

I sent in it for repair and was just notified that the auto focusing mechanism was out of position. Hoping it works when it comes back!

I would definitely send it in for evaluation.

Namra38
Contributor
Thank you for the information! What is the process of sending something into Canon? I have never done it before

I can only confirm that I had exactly the same issues with AF and my newly purchased 6D mark II.

The lenses I used with this body: 

Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 SP Di VC USD
Canon EF 50mm f/1.4
Canon EF 24mm f/1.4 L

Canon EF 35mm f/2 IS USM

AF was almost always out of the focus. I have given up and returned it becasue didn't want to go through warranty process.

Interestingly AF in live View mode worked flawlessly.

I'm curious to know AnnaMaria if you purchased another 6D Mark ii after returning the defective one? And if so, was it okay. I'm really concerned that I'm going to get my camera back and it will stil have an issue. Kinda wishing I had just returned it now...

@TraceyCarol wrote:

I'm curious to know AnnaMaria if you purchased another 6D Mark ii after returning the defective one? And if so, was it okay. I'm really concerned that I'm going to get my camera back and it will stil have an issue. Kinda wishing I had just returned it now...

6D2 - I love mine. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Funny enough I have have exact issue and I’m fed up. My wedding sessions are coming up with some terrible photos. I have to take multiple of the same poses to insure I get ONE good photo. I don’t know what to do. 

@Marciann wrote:

Funny enough I have have exact issue and I’m fed up. My wedding sessions are coming up with some terrible photos. I have to take multiple of the same poses to insure I get ONE good photo. I don’t know what to do. 

What shooting mode are you using?  One Shot focus mode, with Single Shot drive mode, is pretty much point and shoot.  Using AI Servo focus mode is not as straight forward.  

Never use AI Focus mode, which automatically switches between One Shot and AI Servo.  The best AF point selection for One Shot mode is not always the best AF point selection for AI Servo.  If I were to use AI Focus, then I would activate all AF points, and let the camera choose one for me.  I prefer to choose my own AF point, so I never use AI Focus mode.

If you are having consistent focusing issues, have you tried to contact Canon Support?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements