Canon Community Canon Community

New Contributor

6D MarkII issue with image upload

I need help in recovering images on a new SanDisk sd card.  The images can be seen on camera screen with the card, but cannot be seen when uploaded to computer.  The images come in as IMG_0195.CR2 but when trying to open an image in Photo Gallery i get an error messas that says: Photo Galery cannot open this image or video.  The file may be unsupported, damaged, or corrupted.  Please advise what else i can do to recover images.  I also connected the cable from camera to computer and got the same result. 

Thank you.

VIP

Re: 6D MarkII issue with image upload

@JCovert2wrote:

I need help in recovering images on a new SanDisk sd card.  The images can be seen on camera screen with the card, but cannot be seen when uploaded to computer.  The images come in as IMG_0195.CR2 but when trying to open an image in Photo Gallery i get an error messas that says: Photo Galery cannot open this image or video.  The file may be unsupported, damaged, or corrupted.  Please advise what else i can do to recover images.  I also connected the cable from camera to computer and got the same result. 

Thank you.

It sounds like you are using a Windows PC, and saved the images as RAW. No worry, your images are probably okay. Windows does not have the smarts to properly display the new RAW file format. I use Canon DPP to browse folders.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."
New Contributor

thank you for your help.  I was able to import raw images into Lightroom with no problems.  I need to get my Windows updated.

Respected Contributor

@JCovert2wrote:

thank you for your help.  I was able to import raw images into Lightroom with no problems.  I need to get my Windows updated.

Microsoft is not offereing a codec for native .cr2 file support yet, but we all know its coming.  In the meantime, use DPP, LightRoom, IrfanView, etc. 

Rick
Bay Area - CA
~6D2 (f/w 1.0.4) ~16-35mm f2.8L II, 50 f1.8 STM, 85 prime USM, 70-200 f2.8L IS II ~70-300 USM II ~Sigma 24-70 f2.8 Art (f/w 2.02)
~Sigma 150-600 C + TC1401 1.4x (f/w 2.00) ~Speedlite 430 EX II ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~Windows10 Pro1903 ~EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 Ultra