cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6D Mark ii video tips!!!

ronneymiguel
Apprentice

Hey everyone! I’ve got a 6dmk2 that I’ve used for mainly photo for a year now. I’ve only shot video every now and then and haven’t thought much about it but recently I got a job where I have to regularly shoot video. As I’ve been editing I’ve really started to notice that the 1080p from my 6dmk2 is actually pretty mushy and just not that crisp. I’m generally familiar with the basic principles of video (like matching framerates with shutter speed) so my settings shouldn’t be too far off. I’m also aware that canon dslrs are traditionally not that awesome for video but anyway: does anyone have any tips or tricks up their sleeve that I could use to make my video quality just a little bit better?

4 REPLIES 4

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

If your videos have soft focus, then read the manual.  Learn the basics of photography, and get out of Auto mode..  The EOS 6D Mark II was an instant hit with many vloggers.  Why?  The Canon Dual Pixel AF is the best video AF system on the market.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Have to agree with Wadizzle.  I don't take a lot of video with my 6D2, but when I do, I'm always impressed with the clarity and sound.  It would probably be even better with a directional mic.  What lens(es) are you shooting/dissatisfied with?  Glass matters, so does the filter (if appicable).  Canon does truly have the best dual pixel AF on the market.  The tracking is superb. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I have to disagree with both of you. ronneymiguel didn't mention anything about focus or auto mode, you guys just assumed he doesn't know what he's doing.
The videos are mushy and pixelated in some situations for me as well and I've been looking for similar information. That is: the settings to get the best video quality out of this camera. All you find out there are reviews or people showing you how to use the menus.

So I think both of you could actually share your settings if you want to help, instead of patronizing the guy.

@ovidiuc wrote:
I have to disagree with both of you. ronneymiguel didn't mention anything about focus or auto mode, you guys just assumed he doesn't know what he's doing.
The videos are mushy and pixelated in some situations for me as well and I've been looking for similar information. That is: the settings to get the best video quality out of this camera. All you find out there are reviews or people showing you how to use the menus.

So I think both of you could actually share your settings if you want to help, instead of patronizing the guy.

As I’ve been editing I’ve really started to notice that the 1080p from my 6dmk2 is actually pretty mushy and just not that crisp.”

The OP did mention a focus problem.  The OP said the images are “just not that crisp”, which I would take to mean soft focus, at best.  How else would you interprett that?

As far as settings go, did you share your settings that cause your “mushy and pixelated” results?  Did you post a video sample, to demonstrate your issue?  No, and no you did not.  Seriously, though.  How do you expect someone to tell you what you might be doing wrong when they do not even know what it is that you are doing?

How good are you at shooting stills?  You will never be a good videographer until you become a proficient photographer.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements