cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6D Mark ii- Are the owners satisfied? I backed away from it based on the bad internet reviews....

secondlevel
Enthusiast

I backed away from buying the new 6D Mark ii based on all the negative reviews that it received.  However, yesterday I saw the DXO scores and the camera did ok.  That made me start to wonder if I was missing something. Can really produce a usable image at ISO 40,000?

I currenly own a 60D, 77D, and the original 6D.  I feel I have most situations that I encounter covered with these models.  Nevertheless, with the cost down on it and I already have lens and flashes I wonder  about it.  I would only need the body.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Everyone has their own standards, experiences and opinions.  I have decades of experience with Canon, and am a former T6s owner.  An enthusiast who does not rely on his camera to put food on the table. 

6d2, my reasons for purchase.  I was looking to move up to FF and a 5dMKx wasn't in the cards.  Not because of the price, but because it doesn't have a articulating screen.  Silly, I know.  This is a feature I really enjoy and I hope it happens by the time I'm ready to step up again.  Maybe it never will on a true pro body?   

I read the same reviews as you.  They gave me pause, but I continued to research. I didn't want to invest in a older 6d.  (Which I fully acknowledge is a great camera)   After more research, I bought the body.  Its fantastic.  As mentioned, we all have different expectations.  It checked the majority of boxes for me and got me to FF at a reasonable price point, improving on what I had and meeting the criteria I had for upgrade.  The 6d2 is an improvement over the 6d.  Canon has improved almost every aspect of the original platform.  For someone coming from APS-C, its a nice upgrade.  The upgraded AF alone helped to sell me.

However, for someone who already owns a entry level FF, the feature set and modest upgrades of the 6d2 might not feel like a big step up, or justify the cost for the value being received.  This depends on the user and his/hers expectations.  Also the intended use of the camera.

The camera has already been to Europe with me, a few weddings (as a guest) and to family celebrations.  Used under various shooting conditions, weather and more.  Its perfomed well and I really like it.  When my casual snaps at my niece's wedding came back better than their professional photographers...  I felt even better.  He had a 6d with a Sigma Art lens.  I had a 6d2 with the same lens.  He looked like he knew what he was doing.  But my images are the ones the family wants to frame.  It was a bit of luck coupled with a great body and my modest (non professional) experience.  And lets not forget that Sigma lens which I love as well.  I still classify myself as an enthusiast.  I'm unloading my crop equipment.  Had 2 great years with it.  Body is gone, have some lenses left that will eventually go to good homes. Its a hobby, I just need one good body and the 6d2 is it for now.      

Side by side, the body is an improvement from the original.  But will it give you the true bump in performnace is something only you can probably answer.       

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

72 REPLIES 72

@secondlevel wrote:
It appears that there is a strong feeling that FF doesn’t overwhelm crop sensors in image quality anymore. I agree that the sensor used in the 80D is a dramatic improvement. But my main concern is being able to handle low light and high ISO.

The 6D is a very good camera in low light, and the 6D Mark II is just as good.  As Ernie conceded, there is little ISO noise difference between an APS-C sensor and a FF sensor under “normal” shooting conditions.  

The higher the ISO, the more noticeable the differences.  I think the 80D could be the best APS-C camera body that Canon has offered when it comes to High ISO performance.  But, the 6D and 6D2 are even better at ISO 12800.

I also like the wider AOV and shallower DOF you get with a FF sensor.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

"I also like the wider AOV and shallower DOF you get with a FF sensor."

AOV and DOF comes from the lens not the sensor.

"The higher the ISO, the more noticeable the differences."

Perhaps, but you will still need to be a pixel peeper to see it in most cases at 12,800 ISO.  At 12,8 there likely isn't even a stops worth of difference.  Hardly noticeable in normal viewing distances with normal sizes.  And also likely not noticeable at much higher ISO's if social media, I.E. Facebook, etc, are the goals.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"I also like the wider AOV and shallower DOF you get with a FF sensor."

AOV and DOF comes from the lens not the sensor.

Nothing could be more misleading.  Putting a 50mm f/1.8 lens on an APS-C body will give you a very different AOV and DOF compared to putting that same 50mm f/1.8 lens on a FF body.  

It is called “all other things being equal.”  We are comparing camera bodies, not lenses.  

Another feature that I have discovered in the 6D mark II is that it has two Auto White Balance settings, Ambience Priority and White Priority.  

I need to play with it some more.  The White Priority mode seems to use a lighter shade of grey, or maybe even “white”, instead of the standard grey to set the WB.  It seems to make white backgrounds, absolute white.

Haven’t quite figured out the Ambience priority, yet, though.  Either setting seems aimed at producing JPEGs.

"Nothing could be more misleading.  Putting a 50mm f/1.8 lens on an APS-C body will give you a very different AOV and DOF compared to putting that same 50mm f/1.8 lens on a FF body."

Oh, is that so?  Not !  A 50mm lens on a cropper is a different animal than it is on a FF. It now has the equivalent focal length of an 80mm and the same AOV or DOF.  This is basic, you should have learned that a long time ago.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"Nothing could be more misleading.  Putting a 50mm f/1.8 lens on an APS-C body will give you a very different AOV and DOF compared to putting that same 50mm f/1.8 lens on a FF body."

Oh, is that so?  Not !  A 50mm lens on a cropper is a different animal than it is on a FF. It now has the equivalent focal length of an 80mm and the same AOV or DOF.  This is basic, you should have learned that a long time ago.

Yeah, I know.  That was my original point.  “I like the wider AOV and shallower DOF from a FF sensor.”  Or something like that.

"In this case it is you that is incorrect."

Next time put your glasses on before you post.

" It now has the equivalent focal length of an 80mm and the same AOV or DOF."

EB

"Again I'm afraid you are not correct. Equivalent means equal."

Yes it does mean 'equal'.  But it menas it is equal to the longer focal length.  Not the printed focal length.

"I've been through this too many times in the past..."

I have no problem believing that!  Smiley Wink

EB

Bryston3bsst wrote:

Again I'm afraid you are not correct. Equivalent means equal.

Last I checked 50, in no way, shape or form is ever equal to 80.

A 50 mm lens on a crop or a FF is still 50mm. A crop body gives it a narrower angle of view, not an increased focal length. Clearly you didn't read the article I posted a reference to....or anything in regard to what differences a crop body makes.

But, that's ok......I've been through this too many times in the past and I've found that once someone gets this notion in their head it is nearly impossible to change. I would post additional reference for you to read but I know you won't as you already have this falsehood engrained to be a truth.

So, you enjoy laboring under your misconception. Because I'm sure, in your head, you know you are right.

I don't think I subscribe to your definition of "equivalent", but that hardly matters. In this context equivalence refers to the coverage that a given lens would give you on a different type of camera. The only time I've found it necessary to worry about such equivalence is when I'm using two cameras, one full-frame and the other APS-C, in order to compute the gap or overlap in the coverage provided by the two camera/lens combinations. Otherwise I find that I'm much better off thinking only about the behavior of a lens on the camera on which I'm using it, not on some other camera.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

" ... I'm much better off thinking only about the behavior of a lens on the camera on which I'm using it, not on some other camera."

Totally agree Robert.  One of my photography pet peeves is the whole crop sensor debacle.  I wish the term crop sensor had never been coined. It is unnecessary if you understand photography and the farther away we get from 35mm film, the less meaning it has.  You know a 5D Mk IV is a crop sensor if you compare it to a Hasselblad X1D-50c which is about 0.62.

EB
Announcements