cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6D Mark ii- Are the owners satisfied? I backed away from it based on the bad internet reviews....

secondlevel
Enthusiast

I backed away from buying the new 6D Mark ii based on all the negative reviews that it received.  However, yesterday I saw the DXO scores and the camera did ok.  That made me start to wonder if I was missing something. Can really produce a usable image at ISO 40,000?

I currenly own a 60D, 77D, and the original 6D.  I feel I have most situations that I encounter covered with these models.  Nevertheless, with the cost down on it and I already have lens and flashes I wonder  about it.  I would only need the body.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Everyone has their own standards, experiences and opinions.  I have decades of experience with Canon, and am a former T6s owner.  An enthusiast who does not rely on his camera to put food on the table. 

6d2, my reasons for purchase.  I was looking to move up to FF and a 5dMKx wasn't in the cards.  Not because of the price, but because it doesn't have a articulating screen.  Silly, I know.  This is a feature I really enjoy and I hope it happens by the time I'm ready to step up again.  Maybe it never will on a true pro body?   

I read the same reviews as you.  They gave me pause, but I continued to research. I didn't want to invest in a older 6d.  (Which I fully acknowledge is a great camera)   After more research, I bought the body.  Its fantastic.  As mentioned, we all have different expectations.  It checked the majority of boxes for me and got me to FF at a reasonable price point, improving on what I had and meeting the criteria I had for upgrade.  The 6d2 is an improvement over the 6d.  Canon has improved almost every aspect of the original platform.  For someone coming from APS-C, its a nice upgrade.  The upgraded AF alone helped to sell me.

However, for someone who already owns a entry level FF, the feature set and modest upgrades of the 6d2 might not feel like a big step up, or justify the cost for the value being received.  This depends on the user and his/hers expectations.  Also the intended use of the camera.

The camera has already been to Europe with me, a few weddings (as a guest) and to family celebrations.  Used under various shooting conditions, weather and more.  Its perfomed well and I really like it.  When my casual snaps at my niece's wedding came back better than their professional photographers...  I felt even better.  He had a 6d with a Sigma Art lens.  I had a 6d2 with the same lens.  He looked like he knew what he was doing.  But my images are the ones the family wants to frame.  It was a bit of luck coupled with a great body and my modest (non professional) experience.  And lets not forget that Sigma lens which I love as well.  I still classify myself as an enthusiast.  I'm unloading my crop equipment.  Had 2 great years with it.  Body is gone, have some lenses left that will eventually go to good homes. Its a hobby, I just need one good body and the 6d2 is it for now.      

Side by side, the body is an improvement from the original.  But will it give you the true bump in performnace is something only you can probably answer.       

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

72 REPLIES 72

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"Why is an ASP-C EOS 80D better than a FF EOS 6D Mark II?"

Just for starters how about price?  See you guys that see FF first don't see the whole picture!  Sorry I know bad pun.

Price.  By your logic, an EOS 5D Mark IV is a bad idea, too.  Forget about anything in the 1D series.  In fact, why don’t you go for a PowerShot Elph Series, if price is the starting point.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

"...why don’t you go for a PowerShot Elph Series,..."

Because, I don't want one.  This debate is over two models the 80D vs the 6D Mk II.  Not every camera on the market.

Blowing another hole in your 1 Series argument is all 1 Series are not FF.  I have both.  Why they even got into the debate since it is the 80D vs the 6D Mk II is silly.  Try to keep on the 80D vs the 6D Mk II models.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@shadowsports wrote:

Glad you figured it out. 

I re-read the article and thread, then went back and reviewed the settings on both menus in the camera.  The fine PIc Style was there.  The default styles are all editable, and the menu includes 3 custom options that can be configured from scratch.  I would still like it if I could use the EOS Utility to add non canon lens profiles to the camera for later use in DPP, but I know this will never happen.  I suppose this is why so many here use LR. 

Being able to work with third party lenses was THE single reason that made me take a first look at Lightroom.  After seeing what all that LR could do, I took a second look.  By the time I took a third look, I was using it. 

@TTMartin wrote:

Waddizzle is seems like the 6D Mk II has some of the features of Canon's Digital Lens Optimizer built-in. This Canon article implies that it can add those to the RAW file. I was hoping you could test that and let us know if that is the case. 

EOS 6D Mark II for Landscape Photography

Enhanced tools for sharpening of image details, for both RAW and JPEG images:

• Fine Detail Picture Style, with greater and more precise sharpening dialed-in.  This is a big asset for in-camera JPEG shooting, and an excellent tool for more RAW image detail when files are processed in Canon’s Digital Photo Professional software.
  • Added sharpening commands for all other Picture Style settings…“Fineness” and “Threshold” are new commands not present in the original EOS 6D camera, giving sharpening control similar to the “Unsharp Mask” command in some image-editing software.
  • Diffraction Correction is built-in (can be turned on or off, on camera’s menu).  Added sharpening applied to counter both the effects of lens softening at small apertures which are common in landscape shooting (f/16, f/22, etc.), as well as providing specific sharpening to counter the softening effect of the low-pass filter immediately in front of the EOS 6D Mark II’s image sensor (when shooting at wider apertures).
  • Linear Distortion Correction, to counter lens-induced bending of straight lines such as horizons with wide-angle zooms and other lenses.  Again, this can be turned on or off by the photographer (it’s off by default; note that in-camera distortion correction will slightly crop the final image file).

"I wasn't talking  about adding Canon's Digital Lens Optimizer (DLO) in DPP, you've been able to do that for years. What the article implies is that the 6D Mk II will bake DLO processing into the RAW file. This would be pretty significant as you could add DLO processing at the time of capture and still process your photos in Lightroom."

It was my understanding that what you were talking about is built-into the new Diffraction Correction setting [ON/OFF].  It can be found in the Camera Menu that I described.

soorajkaippilly
Apprentice
6d Mark II - The Worst Camera I ever used. Poor image details.

secondlevel
Enthusiast
The in-body stabilization is for video only. It is an electronic stabilization to help movie makers. It doesn’t affect stills.

Thank you for your comments. If the 6D ii came out at the current cost I might have bought one or the reviews might have been better. I held it in my hands at the camera store but that wasn’t enough time to change my mind from the bad reviews.

secondlevel
Enthusiast
Thank you for commenting. I really appreciate it. I needed to hear from actual owners. I watched the press release that Canon did for it and after I got over my horror about how bad it was (one of the presenters actually said this is a great camera for someone wanting better photos than a smart phone! Clearly not the typical buyer for a full frame camera). Another presenter keep speaking about when he shot film and there are a new generation that never shot film and doesn’t care about what happened yesterday. I feel they never spoke to me. I am a semi-pro that shoot events on weekends. Anyway, your comments help clear some of my confusion. I might take a trip to my local camera store to try it again. Thank you.

@secondlevel wrote:
Thank you for commenting. I really appreciate it. I needed to hear from actual owners. I watched the press release that Canon did for it and after I got over my horror about how bad it was (one of the presenters actually said this is a great camera for someone wanting better photos than a smart phone! Clearly not the typical buyer for a full frame camera). Another presenter keep speaking about when he shot film and there are a new generation that never shot film and doesn’t care about what happened yesterday. I feel they never spoke to me. I am a semi-pro that shoot events on weekends. Anyway, your comments help clear some of my confusion. I might take a trip to my local camera store to try it again. Thank you.

Here is an enlightening article about AF points.  

Canon EOS DSLR Autofocus Explained

There seems to be some advantages to having a high number of densely packed AF points, than having the same number spread out, and covering more of the view frame.  More densely packed AF points can track in AI Servo mode better than less densely packed AF points.

I have all but concluded that the 6D2 can track subjects in AI Servo mode at least as well as the 7D2, if not better.  In fact, my keeper rate with the 6D2 is MUCH higher than with the 7D2.  Sometimes the 7D2 is a little soft, but the 6D2 is nearly always tack sharp.

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@secondlevel wrote:

I backed away from buying the new 6D Mark ii based on all the negative reviews that it received.  However, yesterday I saw the DXO scores and the camera did ok.  That made me start to wonder if I was missing something. Can really produce a usable image at ISO 40,000?

I currenly own a 60D, 77D, and the original 6D.  I feel I have most situations that I encounter covered with these models.  Nevertheless, with the cost down on it and I already have lens and flashes I wonder  about it.  I would only need the body.

The 6D Mk II would be similar to your 6D in dynamic range except the dual-pixel sensor and increase in megapixels will make what noise you do have finer and more grain-like. Canon did improve the 6D MK II's high ISO capability, but, I'd say ISO 40,000 is a bit of a stretch. 

The other improvements are the frame rate (biggest down fall of the original 6D in my opinion), f/8 AF system, articulating display, etc.

secondlevel
Enthusiast
Thank you everyone for the replies. However, we are getting off topic. My question concerns the new 6D. Full frame vs Crop isn’t an concern.
Announcements