cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6D Mark II cannot read it's own pictures

jnelson1078
Contributor

Took many pictures with my 6D Mark II, when I look at the photos in the image viewer on the camera, all I get is a big question mark. My updates (both Canon and Mac OS) are all up-to-date. These are photos that will never occur again, is there a way to recover the files. Other apps (such as the latest Photoshp say the file format is not recognized and Finder flat out states the file cannot be opened. Canon Professional 4.0 gives me the same thing as the camera. Please help.

11 REPLIES 11

@jnelson1078 wrote:

Took many pictures with my 6D Mark II, when I look at the photos in the image viewer on the camera, all I get is a big question mark. My updates (both Canon and Mac OS) are all up-to-date. These are photos that will never occur again, is there a way to recover the files. Other apps (such as the latest Photoshp say the file format is not recognized and Finder flat out states the file cannot be opened. Canon Professional 4.0 gives me the same thing as the camera. Please help.

There are two possibilities worth considering. One is that something is wrong with the camera.

But on the information you've given us, it's more likely that the problem is in the (SD?) card. Is it one of those micro cards that uses an adapter to fool the camera? If so, get rid of it, and let us know whether that solves the problem. Otherwise, try one or more additional cards, making sure that you've formatted them in the camera before using them. If that solves the problem, your current pictures are probably lost, but at least now you know. If it doesn't. there may be something wrong with the camera, and you should try to get it fixed - either by Canon or by a reputable 3rd-party repairer.

Is this a new problem in a camera that used to work? Or has it been this way since you got the camera? Any additional information you can provide may prove helpful.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

BurnUnit
Whiz
Whiz

Do the files show up in an Explorer window in a desktop or laptop computer? If so, what are the sizes of the files and what are the file name extensions (.jpg, CR2, etc.).

The files are listed in explorer, but they will not open.

Download Canon DPP and see if that will open the files.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

@jnelson1078 wrote:
The files are listed in explorer, but they will not open.

. . .And again, approximately what size are the files and what are the file name extensions?

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@jnelson1078 wrote:

I do not know about a MAC, but Windows will not let access the files in the camera as if it were a thumb drive.  You should have gotten an "Access Denied" type of message.  I guess that is what the question marks might represent.

Try removing the card from the camera and use a card reader.  Most laptops have an SD card reader already built-in to them. It 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

@jnelson1078 wrote:

I do not know about a MAC, but Windows will not let access the files in the camera as if it were a thumb drive.  You should have gotten an "Access Denied" type of message.  I guess that is what the question marks might represent.

Try removing the card from the camera and use a card reader.  Most laptops have an SD card reader already built-in to them. It 

Works fine for me. 1D X Mark III connected to Windows 10 PC.

Annotation 2020-07-16 125146.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

"Works fine for me. 1D X Mark III connected to Windows 10 PC."

Yes, you can browse.  But can you actually open a file?  I think the camera has them locked for access.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

If its a JPEG and you double click the Windows app opens.

If its a RAW file and you select Open it needs to be told the software you want to use.

Annotation 2020-07-16 131715.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements