cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6D Mark II GPS Stopped

OzTog
Apprentice

Hi my 6D Mark II was purchased new 6 months ago. I selected this model for the GPS capacity. The GPS has been working well, i usually shoot on the mode which enables GPS to be recorded only while shooting, to preserve battery. The Disable GPS when the camera is not in use. 

Lately i noticed it seems to be draining the battery even when turned off and GPS disabled. 

I did two shoots over the weekend and noticed the battery is completely drained overnight for the first time (as though the camera were permananly in GPS Mode 2, aka always on). 

I could easily resolve this by taking the batteries out overnight. However - I have just discovered that many of the shots did NOT record GPS data at all. There is a sporadic recording of the GPS data on some shots only, not others, interspersed throughtout the shoot. I haae checked manually the data recorded with each shot, and in many instances there is simply nothing there, as though GPS were disabled, and yet the GPS Mode 1 was enabled throughout the weekend. 

Any suggestions? I live 5 hours away from a Canon store or any other kind of help, so thought I would ask the forum first. 

Cheers. 

4 REPLIES 4

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

First and foremost, reset the camera back to factory defaults.

Were you shooting indoors or out when the GPS was failing to record?  Did the top LCD indicate that the camera was receiving a GPS signal?  If [GPS] is flashing, then it is searching for satellite data.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

thanks. i will try that and let you know if it works. all my gps work is outdoors in forests using garmin gps devies as well. which were icking u satelite no problems. it was three short shoots, some photos in each got the gps, some didnt. its never done that before. there was good gps reception onthe other devices. 

@OzTog wrote:

thanks. i will try that and let you know if it works. all my gps work is outdoors in forests using garmin gps devies as well. which were icking u satelite no problems. it was three short shoots, some photos in each got the gps, some didnt. its never done that before. there was good gps reception onthe other devices. 

Okay.  Try the reset, and check back.  

I just had a brainstorm, though.  It is my understanding that the GPS module is located in the top of the camera, below the flash shoe.  Did you have anything mounted on the flash shoe?  I wonder if it could interfere with GPS if something was there.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks for your help Waddizzie, GPS definitely flashing

Announcements