cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6D Mark II Battery Drain

EdV
Contributor

Just purchased 6D Mark II. Overnight the battery Drains.  I have a 6D and have usede the same batteries in it and do not have that issue.  I purchased new batteries anyhow to see if it was a battery issue in a new camera.  Still getting Battery drain overnight.  I do not see that GPS or Bluetoothe is turned on.  Any help - is there a firmware issue?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Have you checked the battery compartment for damage or objects?

Perform a full reset.

Also reset the Custom Menus ~C1

Pull the card, remove your lens and cap the body.

Turn the camera off.

Put a new fully charged battery in and let it sit for 24 hrs. 

If its dead in the morning, you have two choices:

Rick option: Exchange it 

or

Other Option: Call Canon

Life is too short.  I promise you'll love the body once you get this resolved.  Many happy memories captured with my 6D2.

My brother got married 2 weeks ago. I let his wedding photographers take first crack at this kiss with their Nikons and flash arrays.  I ran up at the very end..  No flash.. ISO 12800 and 1/125 of a second. I didn't get their feet, but I got the shot.  You're going to love it. 

Ricks Brother_DxO.jpg

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

Very kind thanks.  I don't have the time to spent like I used to.  Still love it though.

I got my 6D2 shortly after release.  It shipped with 1.0.3. 

Changes in Version 1.0.4:
1. Corrects a phenomenon in which in rare instances, the operation buttons and some touch panel functions do not respond.

While I never experienced this behavior, I updated to 1.0.4 in order to avoid it.  I ran 1.0.4 for 8 months after 1.0.5 was released. No need to "fix" something which wasn't broken.

I wasn't overly concerned about the fixes in 1.0.5

1. Corrects a PTP communications vulnerability.
2. Corrects a vulnerability related to firmware update.

Firmware Version 1.0.5 incorporates the following fix:

If you care to read about it:

https://asia.canon/en/support/security-advisory-ptp-communication-and-firmware-functions/notice

The vulnerabilities it addresses are extreme..  Knowingly connecting your camera to a compromised device or network..  etc.  Wasn't something I was overly concerned about / or a "real world" hazard for me.

I was at another family members wedding this July,  so I updated to 1.0.5 before I left.  It was fine.  

While troubleshooting:

I would suggest sticking with 1.0.4 until you are 100% sure the camera is ok.  If you don't experience any undesired behavior after a week, go a head and upgrade to 1.0.5.  

Now you can get out there and start enjoying great portraiture this camera offers.  Smiley Happy

Cheers

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Have you checked the battery compartment for damage or objects?

Perform a full reset.

Also reset the Custom Menus ~C1

Pull the card, remove your lens and cap the body.

Turn the camera off.

Put a new fully charged battery in and let it sit for 24 hrs. 

If its dead in the morning, you have two choices:

Rick option: Exchange it 

or

Other Option: Call Canon

Life is too short.  I promise you'll love the body once you get this resolved.  Many happy memories captured with my 6D2.

My brother got married 2 weeks ago. I let his wedding photographers take first crack at this kiss with their Nikons and flash arrays.  I ran up at the very end..  No flash.. ISO 12800 and 1/125 of a second. I didn't get their feet, but I got the shot.  You're going to love it. 

Ricks Brother_DxO.jpg

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

EdV
Contributor
Thank you. I am familiar and have found the clear all custom functions and clear all camera settings and have now done that. Not seeing a return to factory settings, I am assuming that is what you are referring to a full reset or is there something else I’m not seeing?

Thank you. I have had a 6D for several years now and purchased the Mark II as a second body to Mount my 85mm 1.2 USM on. I hope this works.

Ed - Las Vegas

Greetings,

No, those are the two I was referring to.

I have the 85mm f1.8 for portraits.  Not as creamy as yours in the background, but also a great match for this body.  

Should also add.  I've run FW 1.0.3, 1.0.4 and 1.0.5 without any issues.  So any of those should be fine.  

Conner.JPG

Dads.JPG

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

First off, Those photographs are wonderful!

Secondly - You are officially esteemed in my world!  Moments ago I turned my camera on and it was holding a full battery charge!!!

I've noted the FW updates.  But I have not added them.  mine has 1.0.4. on itout of the box.  Should I install 1.0.5. or wait and see if I experience the problems associated with the update?

Your the man... The guy at the store wanted me to give him $35 to box it up and send it to Canon.

Now if I can just get my Apple Mac to speed up...

EdV

Very kind thanks.  I don't have the time to spent like I used to.  Still love it though.

I got my 6D2 shortly after release.  It shipped with 1.0.3. 

Changes in Version 1.0.4:
1. Corrects a phenomenon in which in rare instances, the operation buttons and some touch panel functions do not respond.

While I never experienced this behavior, I updated to 1.0.4 in order to avoid it.  I ran 1.0.4 for 8 months after 1.0.5 was released. No need to "fix" something which wasn't broken.

I wasn't overly concerned about the fixes in 1.0.5

Firmware Version 1.0.5 incorporates the following fix:

If you care to read about it:

https://asia.canon/en/support/security-advisory-ptp-communication-and-firmware-functions/notice

The vulnerabilities it addresses are extreme..  Knowingly connecting your camera to a compromised device or network..  etc.  Wasn't something I was overly concerned about / or a "real world" hazard for me.

I was at another family members wedding this July,  so I updated to 1.0.5 before I left.  It was fine.  

While troubleshooting:

I would suggest sticking with 1.0.4 until you are 100% sure the camera is ok.  If you don't experience any undesired behavior after a week, go a head and upgrade to 1.0.5.  

Now you can get out there and start enjoying great portraiture this camera offers.  Smiley Happy

Cheers

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

EdV
Contributor
Great. I will update you as to the resolution. Expecting a reply from customer support. By Monday I hope.

EdV
Contributor
Great suggestion. Thank you again.

Additionally, I remounted my lens and will check to see if that is an issue with the battery.

Cheers to you!

Steve07
Contributor

Hi,

This seems like a common problem, I have only had my R6 mk2 for about 8 months, I use the neewer battery grip, canon batteries and canon adapter for my ef lenses, the same set up I had with my 5D mk3, cannot understand why it’s draining batteries (though not as quick as yours it seems). I have had several canon bodies over many years and never had this problem. Probably going to get it checked out as I’m pretty sure this shouldn’t be happening. I will let you know if I find a solution. 
Regards, Steve 

@Steve07 wrote:

Hi,

This seems like a common problem, I have only had my R6 mk2 for about 8 months, I use the neewer battery grip, canon batteries and canon adapter for my ef lenses, the same set up I had with my 5D mk3, cannot understand why it’s draining batteries (though not as quick as yours it seems). I have had several canon bodies over many years and never had this problem. Probably going to get it checked out as I’m pretty sure this shouldn’t be happening. I will let you know if I find a solution. 
Regards, Steve 

This thread is several years old.  Your issue is related to different gear.  Please start a new thread of your own so that the description of your issue appears at the top of the page.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements