cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6D Mark 2 has only a circular image with Tamron 16-300mm lens

dwelle4
Apprentice

I'm getting only a circular image in the middle of the photo with my Tamron 16-300 mm lens.  Have tried w + w/o lens hood and / or skylight filter, high and low apertures, etc.  Is the lens simply designed for a camera with a smaller sensor?  I bought the lens used and it seems to function in other respects.  If it's a lens-sensor mismatch, I'll need to return it ASAP. 

Thanks, Doug

5 REPLIES 5

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Welcome to the forum. 

Yes, it sounds like your lens is designed for  APS-C cameras and won't project a full image for full frame camera. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

True indeed, thats an APS-C lens.

Full frame Tamron would be 28~300 (only $70) more if thats what you are looking for.

The Canon equivlent is "L" series and about 4x the price.  Of course you would get a much better lens. 

SIgma doesn't offer anything in that range (focal length)

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

The lens you bought, which is not designed for a 6D2 at all, and the one suggested are not worthy of a 6D Mk II, IMHO.  Why do people get expensive top quality cameras like the 6D2 and then put the cheapest junk lenses on them? Remember it is the lens that makes the picture!

"... I'll need to return it ASAP."

Yes you do and start looking at better lenses. The EF 24–105mm f/4L IS II USM is an excellent choice for the 6D2.  You will notice almost no zoom lens intended for high quality cameras have huge zoom ratios.  Why?  Because as the zoom ratio goes up the IQ of the lens goes down as a general statement. Very few exceptions.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@dwelle4 wrote:

I'm getting only a circular image in the middle of the photo with my Tamron 16-300 mm lens.  Have tried w + w/o lens hood and / or skylight filter, high and low apertures, etc.  Is the lens simply designed for a camera with a smaller sensor?  I bought the lens used and it seems to function in other respects.  If it's a lens-sensor mismatch, I'll need to return it ASAP. 

Thanks, Doug

How were you able to mount the lens without damaging the camera body?  I suppose the lens has a regular EF mount, but EF-S optics.  Send the lens back from where it came.  

Avoid lenses that have focal ratios greater than 4 to 1.  Focal ratio is the ratio of the longest focal length to the shortest focal length of the zoom lens.  I carry three lenses to cover nearly that same range of focal lengths: 16-35, 24-70, 70-200.

You have a very nice camera body.  It deserves high quality lenses, not budget lenses for entry level camera.  There is one budget lens with exceptional performance, the EF 50mm f/1.8 STM lens.  I recommend the EF 24-105mm f/4L IS III USM for use as a standard zoom for "walk around" scenarios.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

@dwelle4 wrote:

Thanks, Doug

How were you able to mount the lens without damaging the camera body?  I suppose the lens has a regular EF mount, but EF-S optics.  Send the lens back from where it came.  

EF-S is a Canon only lens mount design. The optics in the subject lens are APS-C optics, which denotes sensor coverage size. All third party APS-C lenses are EF mount.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements