cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6D MK2 focussing issue

nikostis69
Contributor

Hi!

I'm experiencing an issue with focus that I can't figure out if it is a malfunction or wrong settings.

Current settings are:

ONE SHOT

Manual mode

Center Spot AF

Sometimes, I half-press shutter button to focus on my subject and when I fully press the shutter button, focus unlocks and wait till it focuses again and when is does, shutter is released.

This is a disaster if you focus and recompose to take the photo decause except for the lag, your focus is then on the recomposed spot and not on the subject.

Any clue?

16 REPLIES 16

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

What lens are you using?

Are you shooting Live View of through the view finder?

Stepping out, but others will reply shortly after you answer the questions. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I'm shooting through VF

The problem was noticed while using 50mm / f1.4 but tested 24-105 / f4 and does the same thing.

It's not a constant behavior and this is what I can't understand.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@nikostis69 wrote:

Hi!

I'm experiencing an issue with focus that I can't figure out if it is a malfunction or wrong settings.

Current settings are:

ONE SHOT

Manual mode

Center Spot AF

Sometimes, I half-press shutter button to focus on my subject and when I fully press the shutter button, focus unlocks and wait till it focuses again and when is does, shutter is released.

This is a disaster if you focus and recompose to take the photo decause except for the lag, your focus is then on the recomposed spot and not on the subject.

Any clue?

My camera does not attempt to refocus unless I release the half-press on the shutter.  In One Shot mode, the default behavior  is for both focus and exposure to lock together until the shutter is fired.  But, you must maintain pressure on the shutter.  AND, you must fire the shutter before the metering timer expires.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Metering timer refers to shooting in LV.

For sure I don't release the shutter button Smiley Frustrated

The greatest delay between AF locking and shooting is not more than 2-3s (in cases I'm waiting fot the "moment")

But this happens even if I have almost 0 delay.

@nikostis69 wrote:

Metering timer refers to shooting in LV.

For sure I don't release the shutter button Smiley Frustrated

The greatest delay between AF locking and shooting is not more than 2-3s (in cases I'm waiting fot the "moment")

But this happens even if I have almost 0 delay.

The metering timer is not exclusive to shooting in LV.  The LV menu allows you to change it, while it is fixed for other modes.

907621E1-EEBC-47BC-AFD3-046472BA710F.jpeg

But, that point is neither here nor there.  Once you lock focus and exposure in One Shot mode with a half press, the camera will remain locked and loaded until you either fully press the button, release the button.

Once One Shot locks focus and exposure, you should see the focus confirmation icon in the viewfinder, the round ball.  This icon remains for as long as you keep the shutter half pressed.  The default behavior for the [AF-ON] will also keep focus and exposure locked.  

Confirm whether or not you are seeing the focus confirmation icon while you recompose your shots.  Your description of the issue is consistent with the shutter half press being released.  Maybe you have a bad shutter button.  You could also use the default behavior of the [AF-ON] button to keep focus and exposure locked as you recompose, too.

The round ball appears in half-press but goes off in full-press and trying to focus again.

Having a faulty shutter button has crossed my mind...

@nikostis69 wrote:

The round ball appears in half-press but goes off in full-press and trying to focus again.

Having a faulty shutter button has crossed my mind...

The focus locked icon should go away when you fully press the shutter, but not before you fully press down.  Could you be lifting your finger slightly as you get ready to fully press the shutter button?  This is easy to do when you move the camera to recompose a shot.

Like I pointed out in a previous post, you can use the default behavior of the [AF-ON] button, instead holding the shutter half pressed, to keep focus and exposure locked.

Also, you [may] want to go to C.Fn.I-8 and select Spor Metering as a metering mode that locks exposure after focus.  The default setting is only for evaluative metering to lock exposure.  

@Waddizzle wrote:
The focus locked icon should go away when you fully press the shutter, but not before you fully press down.  Could you be lifting your finger slightly as you get ready to fully press the shutter button?  This is easy to do when you move the camera to recompose a shot.

The icon should go off AFTER shutter release. Instead I get the icon off but no shutter release until it focuses again.

There is no way it is my fault as this is the way I'm professionally shooting for 5 years and never had an issue before.

Maybe the shutter in the 6D2 has a different touch, although it feels identical to the 6D to me.  Try test shots using the [AF-ON] button, but I can understand not wanting to change your flow when you're shooting.  

If all else fails, contact Canon Support and have them check the shutter.  It sounds like it should still be under warranty.

Announcements