cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6D M2 or EOS-R

77LTD
Apprentice

If you had to choose between an EOS-R and a 6D Mark II... which would you take and why? I was leaning towards the 6D, but I bought the R. I figured smaller size, mirrorless, seems to be the trend.... but I really miss the controls on the 6D. 

9 REPLIES 9

diverhank
Authority

You may want to search for a thread regarding 5D Mark IV versus EOS-R...it has all of the info you are looking for.  Personally I'd choose the EOS-R in a heart beat.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

Diverhank's recommendation will surely help.

I'd take the 6D2.  Not because I own one, but because the EOS-R is first gen and what's coming (sooner rather than later) will be superior.  The R's performance like anything Canon is great, but I don't usuallly adopt first gen tech.  Thats just me, doesn't mean it isn't a good camera.  I am also invested in EF and L glass.

Canon is suppost to be making a camera announcement in 2 weeks. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"If you had to choose between an EOS-R and a 6D Mark II..."

I hope I would come to my senses and buy a 5D Mk IV even a Mk III.  Smiley Happy  I am not a fan of either the 6D2 or the R.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Ernie, so true.  If the 5D4 had an articulating screen, I'd have one..  This is going to be a good year.  I think I will get my wish...  Pro DLSR with the "screen" I wanted from the start. Though I'm not a fan of the screen design...  The 5D4 is king.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@77LTD wrote:

If you had to choose between an EOS-R and a 6D Mark II... which would you take and why? I was leaning towards the 6D, but I bought the R. I figured smaller size, mirrorless, seems to be the trend.... but I really miss the controls on the 6D. 

I think the best answer depends upon how you plan to use it.  Bear in mind, the best laid plans are subject to change.

Given that choice, I would go for the 6D2.  I do not think I would like the control bar on the EOS-R.  I know that I do not like the frame rate in the EOS-R.  For me, that is a complete non-starter.  It really is not fast, and it can slow down to as much as 2-3 fps, given the right shooting conditions.

Given that budget range, I would give a used 5D3 a consideration.  The only problem with a used camera is judging how much wear and tear the camera has experienced. If you can find a used 5D3 for sale, I would expect it to be fairly well used, or a bit overpriced.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Here's my situation. I've had the 5D M4 since last summer. Ilove it, love, love it. It's a bit large and heavy sometimes for what I like to do with it - which is whay I didn't get the 1D. I had a 70D for a backup. The articulating screen was good tool when I needed it, which wasn't all that often. Btut it was nice to have. I wish the 5D had it, but I can live without out. When the 70D crapped out (the articulating screen hinge broke as well) I was back and forth between the 6D and the R. I went with the R because of the size and it's basically a 5D on the inside. But now the nagging doubt is in my head. I've been using the R for a couple months. There are some things I really like and some I really don't. 

@77LTD wrote:

Here's my situation. I've had the 5D M4 since last summer. Ilove it, love, love it. It's a bit large and heavy sometimes for what I like to do with it - which is whay I didn't get the 1D. I had a 70D for a backup. The articulating screen was good tool when I needed it, which wasn't all that often. Btut it was nice to have. I wish the 5D had it, but I can live without out. When the 70D crapped out (the articulating screen hinge broke as well) I was back and forth between the 6D and the R. I went with the R because of the size and it's basically a 5D on the inside. But now the nagging doubt is in my head. I've been using the R for a couple months. There are some things I really like and some I really don't. 

Interesting.  You replaced an APS-C backup with a full frame.  The most logical replacement would have been an 80D or a 7D2.  I can see why one would want the backup to be as similar to their primary as possible.  But, your replace/upgrade path is a totally different topic.  

While the R might share the image sensor in the 5D4, I think the electronic similarities probably end there, IMHO.  Totally different focusing and metering systems, and more.  I admit that I initially found the R to be very attractive, too.  I was not looking to buy a camera, but I had thought it had potential.  I have an M3, which takes fantastic photos with EF-M lenses.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I have a 5D IV also and a 80D as a backup.  Controls are enough the same that switching between them is fairly easy.  I handled a EOS R for about an hour and had a hard time making it do what I wanted.  Of course an hour is not much time.  I was thinking of borrowing a EOS R from canon, but the limit of about a week is really not enough to see if I really like it.  I would not take it on a shoot until I felt very comfortable with it.  I also would have a problem with a camera with no backup with similar controls.

What 77LTD and Wadizzle say regarding the R compared to FF or APS-C back up and which to choose are my exact sentiments.  Also why I stated above I wouldn't be an early adopter of first gen mirrorless.

77LTD, I would probably have the same thoughts in the back of my mind. (Things I really like, and things I didn't).  Fortunately, I don't have these with my 6D2. I did the research and knew what I was getting. The DR "issue" claimed was so over hyped.

I also feel Wadizzles statement about electronic similarities between the R and 5D4 is true. Comparatively similar, then the R is a whole new creature.

Another week and we should see what's coming down the pipeline next.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements