cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6D II or 7D II

ifly2
Contributor

I have a7D which has been a great camera but want to upgrade and would like some input from those who have one or both.

I shoot sports, wildlife, Landscape, Portraits, Low light conditions, indoor you name it.Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I have the 80D and love it, both for action and video.  I was looking at the 7Dii and thinking of a second body, can't get by with one (well I could but...) and thought about the 7Dii or waiting if there is ever a 7Diii  BUT

I decided on the 6Dii because the controls are virtually the same AND IT HAS A FLIPPY SCREEN, those two things decided me.  Basically the 6Dii is the 80D on steroids. but that being said here is the way I use them

The 80D is great for action and with my 70-200 f/2.8 or 100-400 IS ii can really reach out there due to the crop sensor. It is not that great at high ISO or low light (but not bad either)

The 6Dii I use for high iso, can get decent results at 12,800 and low light and it is a full frame and I just like it.  I have been using it as my walkabout camera lately (had it for 3 weeks) with the 24-105 L

Here is a shot with the 6D at 12,800 ISO

IMG_1031-1.jpg

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@ifly2 wrote:

I have a7D which has been a great camera but want to upgrade and would like some input from those who have one or both.

I shoot sports, wildlife, Landscape, Portraits, Low light conditions, indoor you name it.Thanks

Either camera can tackle those shooting scenarios very well.  I would give the nod to the 6D2 for low light.  For most sports and wildlife shots, I would give the nod to the 7D2.  The 6D2 has the better auto focus, but the 7D2 has the better build and frame rate.

But, I would have to consider what lenses you already own, too.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I have 70-200 2.8 ll L USM and 16-35 ll L lens

"I have 70-200 2.8 ll L USM and 16-35 ll L lens"

Lenses are not the determing factor here if this is all you have.  One big pluse for the 7D Mk II is, it can use any Canon lens. The 6D Mk II can not.  The two cameras are similar so I would say do you want FF or are you happy with your curent 7D.  There is little doubt in my mind that the 7D series is the better line.  The 6D series is a beginner into FF line.  What one may offer better specs in the other offers better specs in a different place. Either will do the job you seek. So, FF sensor or stick with the crop sensor?

I use both, crop and FF, so perhaps you might want to own both, too!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thanks for the different comparisons.  I do not have  a problem with crop sensor but never shot full frame. I will let you knowwhen i pull the trigger. Thanks everyone.

“The two cameras are similar so I would say do you want FF or are you happy with your curent 7D. 

I use both, crop and FF, so perhaps you might want to own both, too!”

—————————————————————-

Sounds like a vote for the 6D2 to me.

If you want to stick with a crop sensor, then give the 80D a look, too.  It has the same next generation AF sensor technology as the 6D2 and 5D4.  The 7D2 has 1 f/8 AF point.  I have taking great action shots with both the 6D2 and 7D2.  

The 80D and 6D2 both have 27 f/8 AF points.  What does that mean in practice?  I use the EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM a lot for action photography.  When I use it with an EF 1.4 III extender, I get an effective focal length range of 160-640mm.  

This zoom range is similar to the popular 150-600mm lenses by Sigma and Tamron, but in a much lighter and smaller package.  With the 7D2, you will get just one AF point.  With the 6D2 and 80D, you will get 27 AF points.  The 5D4 and 1Dx2 will each give you even more f/8 AF points.  

For action shots, the more the merrier when it comes to AF points.  The more AF points you can put on a subject, the more tracking data the camera has to use, which is a good thing.  While the 7D2 has just one f/8 point, it can use four surrounding points as “assist points” to help with tracking, but not with focusing.

I have taken great macro, landscape, portrait, you name it shots with either the 7D2 or 6D2, as well as the 80D.  Of those three bodies, the 7D2 is the last one out of the bag.  I swapped cameras with my son for a summer, my 1D4 for his 7D2.  He has yet to give it back.  I do not blame him.

I will look at the 80D. Thank you for the detailed comparrison.

I have the 80D and love it, both for action and video.  I was looking at the 7Dii and thinking of a second body, can't get by with one (well I could but...) and thought about the 7Dii or waiting if there is ever a 7Diii  BUT

I decided on the 6Dii because the controls are virtually the same AND IT HAS A FLIPPY SCREEN, those two things decided me.  Basically the 6Dii is the 80D on steroids. but that being said here is the way I use them

The 80D is great for action and with my 70-200 f/2.8 or 100-400 IS ii can really reach out there due to the crop sensor. It is not that great at high ISO or low light (but not bad either)

The 6Dii I use for high iso, can get decent results at 12,800 and low light and it is a full frame and I just like it.  I have been using it as my walkabout camera lately (had it for 3 weeks) with the 24-105 L

Here is a shot with the 6D at 12,800 ISO

IMG_1031-1.jpg

Wow that's impressive.Thanks 

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
Those are my two most favorite lenses on the 6D2. I only use the 7D2 for action photography on bright sunny days with the 70-200 or the 100-400 II.

I shoot mostly landscapes and cityscapes, so the wider angle of view from the full frame body sees more use. I like the 6D2 for sports and wildlife. I think it tracks just as well as the 7D2, if not better.

Announcements