cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6D GPS

gryphon
Apprentice

I had a perusal through the forum and couldnt find an answer,perhaps its there but I will ask anyway.

The 6d has a gps for which I have no use ..ever!

I dont want my photos tagged with gps co-ordinates at all and would like to know how or if the gps can be disabled without having to do so every time the camera is turned on.

I have also read where the gps stays 'live' when the camera is in the off position and witll continue draining tohe battery.

The 6D is in my sights due to the great low light capabilities but if there is no answer to my gps q`s I will not buy one.

thanks members.

6 REPLIES 6

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

It can be disabled.

Capture.JPG

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Yeah, you don't have a worry.  As indicated above, just go to the utility menu, find GPS, and Disable.  Done.

The problem is when you WANT to use it, it never shuts off.  Even if you disable background logging, the GPS stays on aftter the camera goes to sleep or when you turn the power switch off.  GPS uses 25% of the battery per day, which kills the battery if in your bag for 3 days after you use it.  You have to manually turn it off and manually turn it on.

But if you NEVER want GPS, you are already golden.

Jim in Boulder

Thanks also..now to find out whether to buy one or not maily for the supposed 'low light' capabilities.

Depending on your idea of low light you may need to pair the camera with a particularly low focal ratio lens (the lower the focal ratio, the more light it can collect at at time.)  

However... the 6D is tops in this area.  It has the ability to focus at -3EV.  Even a 5D III (an extremely good camera) is -2EV -- the 6D actually nudges out the 5D III in its ability to focus in low light.

With that said... depending on your idea of "low light" you might be expecting a mircale.  The 6D is one of the best (possibly even *the* best) DSLR for low-light focusing and shooting.   A Nikon D610, for example, can only go down to -1 EV.  I was unable to find a Nikon that could get lower than -2 EV (although I did not check every model, I did check most of the popular models.)

The point is, the 6D is definitely one of the leaders in this area (if not *the* leader... it was the only camera I could find that could focus at -3EV).  So if you need more than the 6D can deliver, then you may be expecting more than technology today is prepared to handle.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

It will be mated to ef 300 2.8   foe my wildlife shots in early and late times of the day.

You have added more with your post ,thanks.

@heyjp wrote:

The problem is when you WANT to use it, it never shuts off.

Jim in Boulder

Fixed in Magic Lantern. GPS turns off every time you put the thingy to off.

http://builds.magiclantern.fm

Announcements