cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6D GPS data in DPP 4 not visible

NickMDal
Enthusiast

Hello.  I am a new (otherwise very happy) 6D user.  Have read the manuals carefully including the WiFi/GPS manual.  The image format used is raw and GPS data is needed.

Raws with verified GPS data are downloaded with EOS utility and then viewed in DPP4.  DPP4 shows the GPS icon on the thumbnails, but the EXIF GPS section is blank.

I use a catalog mgmt application (Phase One MediaPro), which also has no data in the GPS EXIF field for those same raws.

Is the GPS data recognizable as standard EXIF data?  Should DPP display coordinates?

12 REPLIES 12

Yes there is.  I'm currently reinstallng all software from the CD.  First with the option to download current software.  Okay that just failed.  Same result.  Now to reinstall ImageBrowser, but only directly from the CD, not allowing download.

After removing ImageBrowser, I attempted reinstall and chose the "only from the CD" option.  The install stopped saying that disclaimers were not accepted or an internet connection was not available. 

(hope this is helpful to someone)

DPP does not show the GPS data, but it is in the image.  I was confused by the GPS field in the EXIF, which remains blank.  Processed images (raw to jpg) keep that GPS data. iNaturalist shows coordinates.

Complete Map Utility help file is on the solutions disk.

The Map Utility is not needed for the 6D unless you want to use it to view your images on a map 🙂  There is no need to attach GPS data to images with the 6D.  Maybe the 7D Mk II requires this step.   Either EOS Utility 3 attaches it for the 6D or it is already part of the metadata after the shot is taken.

EOS Utility 3 always offers to download the log file.  The Map Utility app will show the 6D GPS locations just by importing images.  Not sure if it is using the log file (since it seems to automatically load them) from the default unchangeble save folder.  Thinking not since iNaturalist displays the data straight from processing in DPP 4.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
It's called Map Utility. Check in the Canon Utilities folder.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements