Canon Community Canon Community

Frequent Contributor

Re: 6D GPS Drains battery when idle

So far, I've turned off the GPS.  Now battery drain is negligible.  Still at 97% charge 10 days after recharging and used the camera several times.

Of course, I've only remembered to turn the GPS back on once, so most of the shots are without the location. 

I do hope they put a timeout on the GPS or just have it go off when you turn off the camera. 

Jim

New Contributor

The reason for leaving the GPS on is that it can be slow to re-acquire a signal once turned off.  Leaving it on allows it to lock quickly onto the satellites.

Frequent Contributor

Yeah, but I'll take a couple of minutes to re-lock when I start shooting over losing 50% of my battery in 48 hours. Seems pretty "expensive". And, worse case, after a few shots the GPS is locked and I have a record of where the "roll" was shot.

Jim
Super Contributor

Sounds like a C. fn is necessary:

GPS state when power switch is off
0 = On
1 = Off
2 = Off after 60 minutes
Frequent Contributor

I'd vote for something like that!

Jim

Occasional Contributor

what happens if I take out the battery?

Frequent Contributor

Well, your battery certainly won't drain while it's out, but your camera uses a second small battery to maintain control settings and clock. Normally that battery does'nt get used much except while changing batteries. It lasts for a couple if years or more. But, with battery oit, I assume it drains much faster.
New Contributor

To make it easier to turn the GPS off, add the GPS command to My Menu.

Notice that when the internal GPS receiver is enabled, the LCD display shows "GPS" even when the camera is switched off. 

Between those two things, I think it's easier to keep the GPS in the state you want than to remove the battery every time you put the camera in your bag.

You can set the time interval between GPS location fixes. If I understand the manual correctly, more frequent fixes require more battery power. So, if you like having GPS on but want to minimize its impact on the battery, set it to the longest interval (5 minutes).

Finally, whether you use GPS or not, it's definitely a good idea to keep a spare battery in your bag.

Reputable Contributor

Wish they will release a firmware to address this issue. I want to save spare battery for GPS while shooting not when the camera is off.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide
Frequent Contributor

I did read a couple of days ago that a 6D firmware update is scheduled for May or June . Hopefully this is an issue that is covers!!

Jim