cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[6D] Can't switch to manual AF point selection

ahaynes42
Apprentice

I've been shooting on Canon cameras for over 10 years now and I haven't had many problems. But for some reason out of nowhere I can no longer switch to manual selection for the autofocus point on my 6D. I've tried it with multiple lenses, same problem. I've gone deep into every settings menu and double checked everything. Now I'm worried it could be a serious issue with my camera. I'm attaching a photo of what happens when I open the AF selection menu on my camera. When I get here everything is greyed out and none of the buttons change anything - it's stuck like this. And yes, all of the directional pads and buttons work correctly. I usually stick to center-point focus when I'm out shooting wildlife. Now I'm stuck with auto-selection of the focus point and most of the time it gets the wrong subject, like some tree branches in the shot, etc. Does anybody have a clue as to what's going on here? Or experienced something similar? Any advice would be appreciated.

IMG_20190201_181524.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Try:

• 1. Make sure the camera is off, and then remove the battery, memory card, and lens.
  • 2. Close the battery/memory card doors.
  • 3. Turn the power switch to the "ON" position, and then press and hold down the shutter button for 10 seconds.
  • 4. Release the shutter button, turn the power switch to the "OFF" position, reinsert the battery, memory card, and attach the lens.
  • 5. Power the camera on.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

tmc784
Enthusiast

Try reinstall firmware ?

Try:

• 1. Make sure the camera is off, and then remove the battery, memory card, and lens.
  • 2. Close the battery/memory card doors.
  • 3. Turn the power switch to the "ON" position, and then press and hold down the shutter button for 10 seconds.
  • 4. Release the shutter button, turn the power switch to the "OFF" position, reinsert the battery, memory card, and attach the lens.
  • 5. Power the camera on.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@ahaynes42 wrote:

I've been shooting on Canon cameras for over 10 years now and I haven't had many problems. But for some reason out of nowhere I can no longer switch to manual selection for the autofocus point on my 6D. I've tried it with multiple lenses, same problem. I've gone deep into every settings menu and double checked everything. Now I'm worried it could be a serious issue with my camera. I'm attaching a photo of what happens when I open the AF selection menu on my camera. When I get here everything is greyed out and none of the buttons change anything - it's stuck like this. And yes, all of the directional pads and buttons work correctly. I usually stick to center-point focus when I'm out shooting wildlife. Now I'm stuck with auto-selection of the focus point and most of the time it gets the wrong subject, like some tree branches in the shot, etc. Does anybody have a clue as to what's going on here? Or experienced something similar? Any advice would be appreciated.

IMG_20190201_181524.jpg

There is something wrong with that picture.  Not one AF point is highlighted, and the display seems to be the wrong color.  You should have a black background, not a blue one.  

However, you can also view and select AF points in the viewfinder.  Do you still get a blank AF display when you try to select AF points in the viewfinder?

John’s suggestion should completely reset the camera, including the internal date.  If that does not fix it, you camera needs service.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ahaynes42
Apprentice

Thank you for your replies. It turns out I needed to reset all settings and that fixed the problem. It seems as if using the android program DSLR Controller with a tablet to control the camera through wifi may have somehow disabled autofocus selection. Another user had a similar issue with this in another thread. Good to know that resetting the settings fixes it though. 

Announcements