cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6D/7D extender question

Lonestar_North
Contributor

I use a 7D and a 6D. I would like to buying a Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM. Would my Canon 1.4X II and 2.0X II allow for auto focus with this camera combo? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

PLee
Enthusiast

Neither the original EOS 6D, or original EOS 7D will support autofocus through the viewfinder with the EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM and either the 1.4x III or 2.0 III extenders on the long side of this lens as the respective apertures would drop to f/8 and f/11 a little past 300mm for this combination. Live View autofocus on both cameras would be slow and flaky at best, especially at f/11, and not really useful for anything moving.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

PLee
Enthusiast

Neither the original EOS 6D, or original EOS 7D will support autofocus through the viewfinder with the EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM and either the 1.4x III or 2.0 III extenders on the long side of this lens as the respective apertures would drop to f/8 and f/11 a little past 300mm for this combination. Live View autofocus on both cameras would be slow and flaky at best, especially at f/11, and not really useful for anything moving.

If you switch to Liveview, the Contrast Detection Autofocus will work on both the 6D and 7D.

Mike Sowsun

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

" Would my Canon 1.4X II and 2.0X II allow for auto focus with this camera combo?"

I would never use the 2x tel-con on that or any other lens for that matter. Performance is going to be slow at best.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@Lonestar_Northwrote:

I use a 7D and a 6D. I would like to buying a Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM. Would my Canon 1.4X II and 2.0X II allow for auto focus with this camera combo? 

Not sure if the Version II models even know that lens exists. If anything, I believe you would need a 1.4x III with that newer lens, and forget using a 2.0x extender. In fact, forget using an extender with that lens on either of those bodies. You will lose AF.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Lonestar_North
Contributor

Thanks all.  I have a much better understanding.  To buy the lens I want to use I have upgtrade my camera.  Spend $1000 before I can spend $1000.  Gosh I love thios hobby

"Gosh I love thios hobby"

And, it never ends!  Smiley Surprised

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@Lonestar_Northwrote:

Thanks all.  I have a much better understanding.  To buy the lens I want to use I have upgtrade my camera.  Spend $1000 before I can spend $1000.  Gosh I love this hobby

You've got to keep it in perspective. For the same level of involvement, photography is probably cheaper than either skiing or golf, almost certainly cheaper than flying or collecting vintage cars, and vastly cheaper than maintaining a large sailboat.

BTW, that argument can be used on one's wife, who often serves as a brake on squandering the family fortune. But I can tell you from experience that the best way to handle that issue is to get her involved in photography too - especially if she happens to have a talent for it.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements