cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

60d transition to 7dm2

harshclimate
Contributor

I encountered issues with my 60d which lead me to purchase the 7dm2. The 60d, started to give me somewhat out of focus shots which I couldn't figure out why. I thought maybe I had gotten a soft lens (24-105mm), but after trying my 50mm and a 70-300mm tamron lens they were also coming out rather out of focus. What would cause a camera or sensor to deteriorate? Is that even possible or are my eyes all outta whack?

Using the 7dm2, so far, has been a dream. I also got the 100mm macro lens and the combo of the two have reinspired me to practice photography. It's my passion and having a camera like this makes it so much more fun because I don't have to fight my way to a good photo through photoshop. I have yet to try it with my other lenses but I'm sure they'll perform well. 

I do miss my 60d's (i have two bodies) and I really super miss the titlty twisty screen. The 7dm2 is going to be a pain to learn and master but as long as I get the quality shots that I'm looking for, I'm not gonna stress over it. I do love the heft and size of the 7dm2. In a way it seems like that helps me stabilize the shot a little better.

Are there any tips and tricks that you all use with your 7dm2? Namely for macro/landscape photography?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Here's a handheld HDR shot, taken at 16mm.  Unfortunately, the 5MB file size of the forums means a slightly blurry looking shot.  I used a fairly high shutter speed because the wind was blowing the trees around slightly.  Leaves were almost waving.

EOS 6D2017_05_109126-HDR.jpg

Here's a panoramic shot taken at 85mm, and shot from a tripod.  I rotated the camera to portrait mode.

1. IMG_2772-Pano.jpg

I took an initial shot in Av mode to get initial camera settings, which I used as a starting point for a manual settings.    All of the shots in the panorama were shot with identical focus and exposure settings, which is critical for success. The above image is actually a 40MB file, but I had to compress it under 5MB to post it to the forums.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Here's a handheld HDR shot, taken at 16mm.  Unfortunately, the 5MB file size of the forums means a slightly blurry looking shot.  I used a fairly high shutter speed because the wind was blowing the trees around slightly.  Leaves were almost waving.

EOS 6D2017_05_109126-HDR.jpg

Here's a panoramic shot taken at 85mm, and shot from a tripod.  I rotated the camera to portrait mode.

1. IMG_2772-Pano.jpg

I took an initial shot in Av mode to get initial camera settings, which I used as a starting point for a manual settings.    All of the shots in the panorama were shot with identical focus and exposure settings, which is critical for success. The above image is actually a 40MB file, but I had to compress it under 5MB to post it to the forums.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@harshclimate wrote:

Both of them, actually. 

If it happens with all lenses on both cameras, it's hard to pinpoint the cause. Is there anything in common, like a macro rail, that you're using on all the bad shots?

Have you run any tests to rule out consistent back- or front-focusing?

Do you know for a fact that it's a focus issue and not camera shake?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements