cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

60d LCD not turning on

mannix8u
Apprentice

My 60d's LCD won't turn on. the shutter still works along with top lcd. If I remove lens the lcd starts working. Please help me!

5 REPLIES 5

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Does the LCD work if you press the "menu" button?

The camera can display various different levels of information on the rear LCD screen and you can use the "Info" button to cycle through all the various options that the camera can display (I think it's roughly 4 different options and you just keep pressing info and it cycles through all the options ... looping back to the first option when you get to the end.)  

One of those options... is to display nothing at all.  The screen will stay dark.  But it should always come to life if you press the "menu" button (assuming the camera is actually on and not tethered to a computer).  When I do astrophotography in a group, I don't want the light from my camera screen on... so I set it to the mode that turns off the display.

Tap "info" and see if the LCD switches on (and just tap it several more times until it displays what you want.)

It does something similar if you are reviewing an image.  Normally it fills the frame with the image but you can press info several times and see the combined RGBL histogram, or you can display the histogram for each color channel independently, etc.

If the display does not work EVEN if you press the "menu" button, then something else is wrong.  See if it isn't just the "info" button and let us know.  

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@mannix8u wrote:

My 60d's LCD won't turn on. the shutter still works along with top lcd. If I remove lens the lcd starts working. Please help me!

Try resetting the camera.  There might be something peculiar with the lens, so try another lens.  Make sure to remove the lens cap.  I suspect that it is as Tim suggested, that there is a setting that has turned off your display. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

JohnBZ
Apprentice
I have the same problem with the lcd not turning on. I got the camera that way thinking i could fix it. Tried new lcd and new connector cable. Nothing worked. I just figured i would use it that way because i can see the menu by using the hdmi connection and other settings in the top menu. The wierd thing is that the other day when i did the firmware update to 1.1.2 and the process got to the point to continue on the camera, the lcd screen seemed to work fine. The update went fine but the camera went back to the lcd not working. The rest of the camera works great. I dont know what could be causing this problem. Something that might make a difference is that i did the update from the computer by using EOS utility. I dont know if connecting it to the computer is what made the lcd work or not.

There are brightness and screen color settings in the camera.  Resetting the camera should reset those.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

JohnBZ
Apprentice
I have reset the camera and i saw the lcd brightness setting. That did not help. The lcd working during firmware update was after i reset the camera.
Announcements