cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

60D

joescastle1
Contributor

I purchased my wife a very long time ago a 60D for christmas and she loved it since it was her first real DSLR camera... Now that her camera has been dead and unrepairable I want to give her a new one.. My question is, what other Canon EOS DSLR camera can work with her existing lenses?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thank you all very much for all the information provided.. I just pulled the trigger on the 80D....

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

Johnw1
Enthusiast

The first question is what lenes does she have?  If they are all Canon EF or EF-S they will work with any EOS AP-C size digital camera from Canon.. You may want to look at the 80D or perhaps the 7D II. Both are AP-C size sensor camers. 

Thank you Johnw1 for your quik reply... I don't have the specs for the lenses since I'm at work, but they should be since they are the ones that came with the camera and one additional that I bought for that camera at the same time.. The 7D looks good and since I will be purchasing the body only the price is within my range..

Don't overlook the 77D.  It has the same autofocus system as the 80D but $200 cheaper.  Whatever lens that you used with your 60D will work with it.  The downside is that it doesn't have the weather sealing that the 80D or 7D has.  It is smaller and ligher.  Some like the lighter cameras.  I tend to find that a light camera feels unbalanced with a big lens attached.  Nevertheless, I own the 77D and it's budget freindly and performs very well. I have shot several events with it.

@secondlevel wrote:

Don't overlook the 77D.  It has the same autofocus system as the 80D but $200 cheaper.  Whatever lens that you used with your 60D will work with it.  The downside is that it doesn't have the weather sealing that the 80D or 7D has.  It is smaller and ligher.  Some like the lighter cameras.  I tend to find that a light camera feels unbalanced with a big lens attached.  Nevertheless, I own the 77D and it's budget freindly and performs very well. I have shot several events with it.

If your wife was using an EOS 60D, then a 77D would be a slight downgrade.  Go for the 80D, or the 7D Mark II.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

secondlevel
Enthusiast
I agree that the body of the 77D is not as solid as the 60D. However, the improvements with the new processor is significant. I can shoot at ISO 12K and get usable images. It can shoot until the SD card is full and won’t fill the buffer! Also, there are good deals on full frame cameras now. You can get a 6D or 6D mark ii.

It all depends on how the camera will be used. If it will be for sports the 7D Mark ii is the best. The 80D is a good general camera. The 77D has the inners of the 80D but a non weather sealed body.

joescastle1
Contributor
The camera is not used professionally. It used for family and friends get togethers, travel and a lot when out on my boat when fishing. She likes to shoot videos as well as a lot of pics. I call her my poperazi..lol... Non the less she has been missing the camera life a lot since the 60d died... Will most definitely get the carpak insurance this time around... Thank all for your knowledge...

Video?  You want the 80D.  It even uses the same batteries.  The 77D uses much smaller batteries.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thank you all very much for all the information provided.. I just pulled the trigger on the 80D....

I am assuming that the SD cards that she currently has will work for the 80D? I was reading the features and did some research on SD cards and was wondering if these SD cards will work best for video and photos, or are there better ones out there? See link below..

http://shop.sandisk.com/store/sdiskus/en_US/list/parentCategoryID.11442500/categoryID.70928500
Announcements