cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

60D

peggyp
Apprentice

I'm thinking about upgrading my Canon Rebel t1I to the Canon 60D.  What would be the advantanges of the 60D.  I've been looking at the specs and comparing the two cameras but nothing is jumping out at me.   I've only been using my DSLR for a year, but I've been taking classes and I think I'm ready for the upgrade, I just want it to make sense.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

TCampbell
Elite
Elite
I'll run through some of the differences...

Your T1i has a 15 megapixel sensor. The 60D has an 18 megapixel sensor. While there's a difference of 3 megapixels, you probably wont notice that so much since most images don't take advantage of all the image data available (e.g. when displaying on the screen or printing, usually the resolution is lower than the native resolution of the camera.) That difference probably wont jump out at you.

The 60D's sensor is a bit better with ISO performance and noise. Your T1i caps out at ISO 3200 but even at 3200 the noise is pretty high (e.g. use only when desperate). I always tried to keep the ISO on the T1i at or below 800. When you get to 1600 or 3200 you have to acknowledge that you will have a lot of image noise and be prepared to deal with it. The 60D goes to ISO 6400 -- but again, that's going to be noisy. I keep it at 1600 or below. But the net net is that you get an extra stop of ISO performance (both in max potential and in what you'd generally accept as usuable (low to moderate noise)). You probably will notice the improved ISO performance because that translates to lower noise at each ISO you normally use as well as letting you get one extra stop of ISO when needed.

The focus system on the two cameras look the same, as you'll see the familiar 9 auto-focus points on the 60D just like your T1i. But on your T1i, only the center point is a cross-type AF point (dual axis focus point that does phase detect AF both horizontally and vertically; it tends to be faster, more accurate, and is difficult to trick into missing focus.) The 8 outer points are all single-axis only. On the 60D all 9 AF points are the better cross-type points. The focus system is a nice advantage.

The pop-up flash on the 60D can work as a "master" to control off-camera speedlites (they must be Canon or compatible speedlites capable of function as off-camera "slave" flashes -- not all flashes support this.) The pop-up flash on the T1i doesn't support working as a master.

The LCD display on the rear of the 60D is hinged. It swings out and flips (it can be made to face forward if you want.)

The 60D has a monochrome LCD display on the top of the camera. In front of that display are several instant access buttons for AF, Drive, ISO, and metering mode (as well as a 5th button which activates the LCD backlight).

The T1i only has one main dial (just behind the shutter button on the top/front corner). The 60D has a control layout more like Canon's pro level bodies. It adds a 2nd large dial on the rear of the camera. They are positioned so that while the front button is controlled by your index finger, the rear dial is controlled (very comfortably btw) by your thumb. When shooting in manual mode, the front dial controls shutter speed and the rear dial controls aperture. When shooting in a semi-auto (Tv, Av, or P) the rear dial controls exposure compensation. I _really_ prefer the dual dial control layout. It provides faster (not to mention more comfortable) control of camera operation.

The 60D is much better at video. It can handle 1920x1080 at 30 frames per second. It also has better control over audio when recording video.

The mode dial has a dedicated setting for 'Bulb' mode (on the T1i you can get to that by adjusting to the longest possible shutter speed) and the mode dial also has a single Custom ("C") mode. You put the camera into a mode you find yourself wanting to swtich to often, then use the menus to register that as your "custom" mode. It remembers everything you set... when you want to return to those settings you just switch to custom mode. It can be a quick way to switch between modes (e.g. if you're shooting sports but want to swtich between AI Servo focus and One Shot focus rapidly depending on whether you're shooting people candids vs. action shots.) I use the mode in astrophotography as a framing and exposure test mode.
Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

TCampbell
Elite
Elite
I'll run through some of the differences...

Your T1i has a 15 megapixel sensor. The 60D has an 18 megapixel sensor. While there's a difference of 3 megapixels, you probably wont notice that so much since most images don't take advantage of all the image data available (e.g. when displaying on the screen or printing, usually the resolution is lower than the native resolution of the camera.) That difference probably wont jump out at you.

The 60D's sensor is a bit better with ISO performance and noise. Your T1i caps out at ISO 3200 but even at 3200 the noise is pretty high (e.g. use only when desperate). I always tried to keep the ISO on the T1i at or below 800. When you get to 1600 or 3200 you have to acknowledge that you will have a lot of image noise and be prepared to deal with it. The 60D goes to ISO 6400 -- but again, that's going to be noisy. I keep it at 1600 or below. But the net net is that you get an extra stop of ISO performance (both in max potential and in what you'd generally accept as usuable (low to moderate noise)). You probably will notice the improved ISO performance because that translates to lower noise at each ISO you normally use as well as letting you get one extra stop of ISO when needed.

The focus system on the two cameras look the same, as you'll see the familiar 9 auto-focus points on the 60D just like your T1i. But on your T1i, only the center point is a cross-type AF point (dual axis focus point that does phase detect AF both horizontally and vertically; it tends to be faster, more accurate, and is difficult to trick into missing focus.) The 8 outer points are all single-axis only. On the 60D all 9 AF points are the better cross-type points. The focus system is a nice advantage.

The pop-up flash on the 60D can work as a "master" to control off-camera speedlites (they must be Canon or compatible speedlites capable of function as off-camera "slave" flashes -- not all flashes support this.) The pop-up flash on the T1i doesn't support working as a master.

The LCD display on the rear of the 60D is hinged. It swings out and flips (it can be made to face forward if you want.)

The 60D has a monochrome LCD display on the top of the camera. In front of that display are several instant access buttons for AF, Drive, ISO, and metering mode (as well as a 5th button which activates the LCD backlight).

The T1i only has one main dial (just behind the shutter button on the top/front corner). The 60D has a control layout more like Canon's pro level bodies. It adds a 2nd large dial on the rear of the camera. They are positioned so that while the front button is controlled by your index finger, the rear dial is controlled (very comfortably btw) by your thumb. When shooting in manual mode, the front dial controls shutter speed and the rear dial controls aperture. When shooting in a semi-auto (Tv, Av, or P) the rear dial controls exposure compensation. I _really_ prefer the dual dial control layout. It provides faster (not to mention more comfortable) control of camera operation.

The 60D is much better at video. It can handle 1920x1080 at 30 frames per second. It also has better control over audio when recording video.

The mode dial has a dedicated setting for 'Bulb' mode (on the T1i you can get to that by adjusting to the longest possible shutter speed) and the mode dial also has a single Custom ("C") mode. You put the camera into a mode you find yourself wanting to swtich to often, then use the menus to register that as your "custom" mode. It remembers everything you set... when you want to return to those settings you just switch to custom mode. It can be a quick way to switch between modes (e.g. if you're shooting sports but want to swtich between AI Servo focus and One Shot focus rapidly depending on whether you're shooting people candids vs. action shots.) I use the mode in astrophotography as a framing and exposure test mode.
Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Tim has nailed this to the wall. This choice is more a function over specs. If the 60D fits your requirements better go for it.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

peggyp
Apprentice
Thanks for the replies, I'm now the proud owner of the 60d, and I love it!

lokesh86
Apprentice

I have canon EOS 60D camera but am facing strainge problem since 1 year. The issue is with focussing. The focus takes tto long or sometimes it does find any focus point. The lense I am using is 18-55mm Canon lense. I cleaned the ;ense but there is no use.Still I am facing the problem with focus. Please suggeste solution.

The lens would have to be incredibly dirty to affect the focusing, so forget that idea.

Firstly make sure you have enough light, you will find that the 18-55 can struggle to achieve focus in poor light especially indoors.

Perform a "master reset to default to factory settings" in the menu, then remove the battery for 15 minutes and refit.

See if the focus problem is the same on both live view and through the viewfinder because they use different focus systems in the camera, do the reset first in case your AF system has been set up differently.

Try another lens, if you do not have one then go to a camera dealer and try another similar lens even if you have to pretend you are intending to buy.

Kylie73
Apprentice

hi i havent used camera since november , now power goes on and off whilst turning main dail on top of camera, not batteries etc Can anyone advise. As in country and no where near a canon repairer or anything

thankyou

kylie 

Announcements