cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

60D with a red pixel and some other white pixels

CarlChou
Apprentice

Dear Firends,

When I took some shoots of today's blood moon, found all of the photos shown 1 red pixel and may be 3 other white pixels at different places.

I took more at different speeds and different ISO, all of them have the 1 red pixel and others.

Does it have defect sensor? 

I have been using it for more than 4 years.

Does you have any opinioins?

Thanks a lot!!

7 REPLIES 7

Peter
Authority
Authority
It is normal. Enable long time noise reduction. You can also search on google about "remove hot pixel canon" or use a raw converter with automatic hot pixel remover.

@Peter wrote:
It is normal. Enable long time noise reduction. You can also search on google about "remove hot pixel canon" or use a raw converter with automatic hot pixel remover.

If the problem is noise, then long exposure noise reduction may indeed be the answer.

Hot pixels are another matter. They may have been normal ten years ago, but they're not normal now.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Hot pixels are very normal. You maybe use Lightroom that automatically removes hot pixels? I have hot pixels it in Canon D30, 1000D, 7D and 6D. I use Darktable and RawTherapee so I see the hot pixels before I remove them in the software.

Long exposure noise reduction is a dark frame thingy to remove hot pixels. You can do it manually taking a dark frame after your picture and then substract the hot pixels in GIMP/Photoshop. You maybe are thinking of High ISO noise reduction to remove noise?

[link removed per forum guidelines]

An example

[link removed per forum guidelines]

The two first files without long time noise reduction, and the last one with. Plenty of hot pixels in the first two.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Those are simply guesses without seeing a example.  Can you u/l one here?

Actually there are three kinds of pixel malfunction. Dead, stuck and hot pixels.

Dead pixels are totally gone. They get no power.

Stuck pixels always receive power, which results in a colored pixel that shows up in the same spot. The colors can be red, green, blue or any combination.  Unlike dead pixels, stuck pixels do not change their color from picture to picture. Stuck pixels are common.

Hot pixels only show up when the camera sensor gets hot during long exposures.  Hot pixels are very normal and they will show up on every brand of camera.

Unfortunately you cannot fix dead, stuck or hot pixels yourself. But if you are a Lightroom or ACR Photoshop user they can be automatically mapped out.

But we need a sample.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Well, you also have this little thingy, https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=WJBuGhMnvFo

Works for some people, doesn´t work for others. It has worked before for me, but not now when I am trying again.

CarlChou
Apprentice
I did find a artical that using build in function of 60 D to clear/fix this problem.
The method is using manual clean sensor function for 30 sec. Than turn off the camera.
After turn it on again, problem solved.
Thanks for everyone who post the suggestions.
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements