cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

60D with No Power.

sassymassey
Apprentice

I have a Canon 60D that I use for Professional Photography. Yesterday after a full day of shoots, my camera turned off mid shoot, and will not turn back on. I have changed batteries to see if it was an issue, but nothing seems to help. It is completely dead. I bought the camera new approx 3 years ago. Do you know what the problem could be?

7 REPLIES 7

Mykolas
Authority

Hi sassymassey!

Thank you for the post.

It is difficult to say what is causing the issue here.  However, I will start with the batteries you are using.  Batteries do not last indefinitely and they will wear out over time.  Are the other batteries you have relatively new or did you get them when you purchased the camera three years ago?

If this is a time sensitive-matter, additional support options are available at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Assuming you know that the battery in the camera does have power...

There are a couple of micro-switches that will prevent the camera from powering up (or if tripped... will cause the camera to power off immediately.)

One is on the battery compartment door.

The other is on the memory card door.

The doors themselves have small tabs which, when closed, will engage the switches.  If the door(s) do not fully close, or if the tab is damaged then the switches might not be completely engaged.  

I've tested a few cameras by _very_ slowly opening each door to determine how far open it can be before the switch disengages.  On some of my cameras it's quite a bit.  On other camera bodies... the switch is barely engaged only when the door is fully closed.  

If you inspect the door and door frame you should see the tab.  You could test by taking a toothpick and just "gently" (do not jam in) press the tab (with camera in the "on" position) and see if the camera comes to life.

If you have a bad switch or a mis-adjusted switch (not fully engaging) then you'd probably need to send it to Canon for service... but at least then you'd know what you are dealing with.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Hello,

I am sorry to push into your conversation but I also have the same problem with my 60D.

Having put the camera away (with the battery removed) in a perfect normal working condition, upon trying to use the camera a week later I was faced with a dead camera. 

Having initially suspected the battery or charger I tried two other fully charged batteries beloning to a friend who has the same camera but this failed to work.

I read with great interest about failing micro switches on the battery and memory cover compartments however any attempt to (carefully) operate the switches manually has failed to get the camera into life but Im guessing that if one of the switches have broken then manual operation is not going to work.

The camera is three years old and has not had a great deal of use and has only ever been used with the genuine battery and lenses.

I fear that this is going to be a costly repair for me by Canon unless anyone has similar experiences and managed to find a fix.   

Best Regards

John Ratcliffe

@johntherat wrote:

Hello,

I am sorry to push into your conversation but I also have the same problem with my 60D.

Having put the camera away (with the battery removed) in a perfect normal working condition, upon trying to use the camera a week later I was faced with a dead camera. 

Having initially suspected the battery or charger I tried two other fully charged batteries beloning to a friend who has the same camera but this failed to work.

I read with great interest about failing micro switches on the battery and memory cover compartments however any attempt to (carefully) operate the switches manually has failed to get the camera into life but Im guessing that if one of the switches have broken then manual operation is not going to work.

The camera is three years old and has not had a great deal of use and has only ever been used with the genuine battery and lenses.

I fear that this is going to be a costly repair for me by Canon unless anyone has similar experiences and managed to find a fix.   

Best Regards

John Ratcliffe

In another thread, an invidual stumbled onto something I would not have thought to check...

They determined that the camera wouldn't power up if the memory card was bad (or had a bad format.)  I suppose this makes sense in that Canon does allow for "bootable" memory cards (the camera can technically boot it's firmware from the card.)  

They replaced the memory card and that did the trick.  You could remove the card and see if it will power up.  You might get a "no card" message on the screen -- but that would at least indicate that the camera is powering up and that it's likely a card problem.

Good luck!

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

I had the same problem.  Called Canon.  Tech helped me fix it over the phone.

Solution for me:

Turn camera off.  Remove lens, battery, memory card.

Press and hold down shutter release for 30 seconds.

Turn camera back on and insert in following order:

Insert battery

Insert Lens   

Should be working at this point.  If you now insert the card and get the same problem again, try a different card.  Also try formatting the problem card.

As the tech explained it to me, this process clears the camera of any corrupted data and error messages.  It is often caused by cards that are not functioning optimally.

I am a happy camper, having been fretting about whether to send it in for repairs, get a new body, etc.  A big relief.  Thanks to the Tech.  One of my better tech support experiences.  The number I called was 800-652-2666.

jjmarston
Contributor

My 60D keeps turning itself on. I turn it off and about two or three minutes later it's back on again -- with the physical power switch in the Off position. The result is that my batteries keep draining down. I thought perhaps it was related to the memory card but it down the same thing with no memory card in. Additionally, when I took the memory card out it then didn't turn back on. So I tried turning it on, removing the card (causing it to automatically turn off); then, after closing the door to the empty card day, I turned I flipped the power switch to Off and then back to On and it turned on. So I know none of this is because of the battery, which is charged. 

JeffYarbrough
Apprentice

@sassymassey wrote:

I have a Canon 60D that I use for Professional Photography. Yesterday after a full day of shoots, my camera turned off mid shoot, and will not turn back on. I have changed batteries to see if it was an issue, but nothing seems to help. It is completely dead. I bought the camera new approx 3 years ago. Do you know what the problem could be?

I bought a Canon 60D to supplement my other one that I use almost exclusively for cinematography and I usually run Rokinon Cinema Lenses on this one.  After both cameras performed flawlessly on a very hot day, I dumped footage and stuck them in the bag.  Just pulled them out to charge all 10 Canon original batteries and could not get the cam to come on at all.  I did as was said above and nothing worked until.....

I grabbed the original Canon lens of the other camera and screwed it on....it  came right on!!!  So....if all the above stuff doesn't work, try an original Canon lens in the mix.

Thanks

Jeff Yarbrough

Nashville

Canon 60D x 2

Announcements