cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

60D vs 70D vs 7D - Low Light purchase?

mp0510
Apprentice

I want to buy a body I'll be using for the following scenarios and would like the thoughts and feedback of actual owners of these cameras.

1. Low Light - I want to shoot available light in dark environments (think churches, abandoned buildings, etc.) where the people might be active with decent depth of field. So I'm thinking f/4 - f/8, ISO 12800, 1/200. I want the best detail possible (hence the desire for a full frame).

2. Absolute razor sharp focus accuracy in good light/flash (ISO 100, f/1.8, 1/120). Not Live view or Manual, just standard auto-focus.

2. Ability to keep focus on moving objects that might shift away from the center focus point (BIF, football, car racing).

Budget-wise, the 60D seems the best choice, since it's available much cheaper. But it doesn't allow microfocus adjustments, which I would LIKE to have. The 7D has a reputation for great focus accuracy, but is older and I'm not sure how good the ISO 12,800 will compare to the 70D in real world situations. I have no idea how well any of these can focus in dim/dark environments (churches, etc.) with just available light.

Any thoughts? Experiences?

10 REPLIES 10

You can buy within your price range from KEH http://www.keh.com/Camera/format-Digital/system-Canon-Digital/category-Camera-Bodies?s=1&bcode=DC&cc... I have not used them. My brother in law has and is very happy with the camera and lens he got.  He also added a 2 year warranty on his stuff for around $50. 

Good luck finding a used 70d. 

I am in the same boat as you and will probably go for a 7d. 

Announcements