cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

60D vs 650D

MaziarKia
Contributor

Hello everyone,my first post here. Smiley Happy

I've been taking pics w/point to shoot cameras for years now and since the DSLR camera's have become a little cheaper,I'm deciding to buy one.

I've been searching a lot and found these 2 but I'm having hard time deciding which one to get. I've heard that 60D has overall better build quality,better grip and better battery life;whereas,650D has a touch screen,and does better in video recording.
I honestly don't care much about video and my main usage is photgraphy(In which I've heard these 2 perform pretty much the same)

So,which one do you guys recommend?

Thanks  and sorry for  the long post

17 REPLIES 17

@fpcadiente wrote:

I suggest get the EF 17-85mm or even the newer version EF15-85mm.
Sharper and faster AF

They're both out my price range.

I tried both 60D and 650D today and both felt very nice in hand,making my decision even harder lol

Anyway,should I go with 18-55 + 55-250 or 18-135 ? The first bundle is a little bit cheaper,thoughts ?

I recently was deciding between the 650D (T4i) and the 60D.

The 650D has been out for a short while and has already had one recall because of the grips.  Was it built with other poor quality materials?  Canon has recently come out with the 700D (T5i) and there is very few new features on it.  I wonder if the 650D had too many problems and Canon just pulled the plug on that model and came out with a new one to replace it.

Don't get me wrong I love the features that the 650D had, espically the touch screen, but the menus are easy enough to manage without it.  Plus I wouldn't want to be touching the screen all the time and possibly damaging it.

The 60D has been out for a while and I have heard nothing but good things about it.  For it to be out for that long and have few complaints tells me it has a good track record.  It may be outdated, but whatever camera you decide on will be outdated in a short while anyway.  It is a very solid camera, and the 650D feels like a toy after handling the 60D.

Costco currently has a $200 off of the 60D that comes with a bag and the 18-200mm lens instead of the 135mm lens.  Thats the camera I chose.

Justin

@Justin wrote:

I recently was deciding between the 650D (T4i) and the 60D.

The 650D has been out for a short while and has already had one recall because of the grips.  Was it built with other poor quality materials?  Canon has recently come out with the 700D (T5i) and there is very few new features on it.  I wonder if the 650D had too many problems and Canon just pulled the plug on that model and came out with a new one to replace it.

Just to play Devil's advocate: the 5d3, their flagship for Canon fanboys worldwide, has had some reports of similar material problems.  No recall from Canon as far as I know, but they usually wait until they have to to issue a recall.  Product recalls happen, it's just a part of manufacturing, it doesn't necessarily mean a bad product. 

I believe the 700D was released without any upgrades because Canon can decided to do annual revisions of the Rebel line, regardless if they've actually developed something new or not.  I believe the only additions was an embossed dial that can rotate 360 degrees?  Heh.  I think the texture changed too, which may have something to do with this material issue, but Canon could just as easily change the texture/material on the 650D and still call it a 650D.

hsbn
Whiz

If you think they are pretty much the same, then get whicheveryou can get cheaper. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

The T4i also has a newer processor (digic 5 vs. digic 4) and 60d is 3-4 years old. Frames per second are practically identical though. But 60d is a bigger camera and if that is desirable to you it is nice. It also has the LCD screen on top which is helpful.

It is hard to find a camera store that stocks anything over a Rebel so it is hard to get your hands on them to compare.

BUT.... If you go to Costco they have Rebel and 60d AND 7d for you to hold and feel. If you are not a member just say you are thinking of joining and they will let you look around :).

Hope this helps, and good luck!
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

@ScottyP wrote:
BUT.... If you go to Costco they have Rebel and 60d AND 7d for you to hold and feel. If you are not a member just say you are thinking of joining and they will let you look around :).

+1.  There's not a significant enough difference in them performance wise to really say flat out that one is better than the other for you.  The Rebels get a bad name because they're the entry level SLR, but you really get quite a lot for the price.  They're not flimsy as many say, I've beat the crap out of mine and it's still firing away 100,000 clicks later.  The 7D has a much more advanced auto-focus system if you're into sports, but honestly I don't see too much difference between the 60D and 650D other than ergonomics.  Yes, the 60D has some "pro features", but you need to decide if those are worth it to you or not.   To restate what Scotty said, I think the differences are small enough that you should just go play with both and see what you like more.

Thanks for the replies.
Where i live,60D is roughly $150 more expensive than 650D,which I don't think it's worth it,is it ?
Also no matter which camera I choose,I only can afford the 18-55 IS lens. I know it's not great,but will it do the job ?
I'm going to test both cameras tomorrow to check which has a better grip in hand because i think that's the most important factor. ( as you guys said)

It’s a tough call.  To me $150 isn’t a big difference when selecting camera bodies, but I’m weighing that versus all the money I’ve spent on all the camera equipment I’ve accumulated over the years. 

Specs wise the 60D is marginally better.  It’s weather sealed, which is nice, though I’ve never had an issue with my Rebel.  The battery life of the 60D should be much better.  The 650D has touch screen, but personally I couldn’t care less.  I really think it comes down to ergonomics.  One is bigger and heavier.  Many see this as more strong and comfortable in their hands.  Some don’t.  I think the best advice in this thread so far is to go play around with both of them in the store and see if your decision is made for you.

Announcements