cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

60D upgrade?

CNJ935
Apprentice

I currently use a Canon 60D with primarily the 24-105L lens.   I also use the 70-300 4.5-5.6L lens as well.   I am thinking of upgrading to either the 80D or 6D MKII.  There seem to be pro's and con's to either one.  I like to shoot landscapes mostly, but also need a good all around performer.  Any opinions?

3 REPLIES 3

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@CNJ935 wrote:

I currently use a Canon 60D with primarily the 24-105L lens.   I also use the 70-300 4.5-5.6L lens as well.   I am thinking of upgrading to either the 80D or 6D MKII.  There seem to be pro's and con's to either one.  I like to shoot landscapes mostly, but also need a good all around performer.  Any opinions?

Both bodies are very good.  This decision is entirely up to you.  In fact, why do you want to upgrade the body, at al? Uupgrading for the sake of upgrading is not the best path.

I like to shoot landscapes, too.  For my best shots, I use a tripod and shoot at ISO 100.  Under these circumstances, either body will give you near equal image quality.  The biggest diference will be angle of view with your current lenses.

I shoot many landscapes as panoramas, using a 6D and an EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM.  I like to roll the lens to portrait mode for the sequence of panorama shots.  That is what works for me.

Again, this decision is entirely up to you.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

You like your 60D so the obvious choice is the 80D.  Your 60D than will become a nice backup. Also it will save you some bucks that will let you get some more glass.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I have 3 60Ds and still enjoy shooting with them - it is an excellent camera and I am curious to know exactly what you hope to achieve in doing the upgrade.

If you really want to upgrade, I would keep the 60D as your crop sensor camera and get the FF 6DII to give you the benefits of a FF sensor.  That way you are expanding your capability, not just replacing what you already have.   With all of the buzz about the new Canon MILC you may well find some great deals for the 6DII second hand.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements