cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

60D turns itself on (even when switch is in the Off position)

jjmarston
Contributor

My 60D keeps turning itself on. I turn it off and about two or three minutes later it's back on again all by itself -- with the physical power switch in the Off position. The result is that my batteries keep draining down. I thought perhaps it was related to the memory card but it does the same thing with no memory card in. Additionally, when I switched off and took the memory card out it then didn't turn back on. So, once I managed to get it back on, I tried removing the card (causing it to automatically turn off); then, after closing the door to the empty card bay, I flipped the power switch to Off and then back to On and it turned on. So I know none of this is because of the battery, which is charged. It's like the camera has a mind of its own - I keep finding it on with the power switch in the Off postion.

13 REPLIES 13

OK but why would resetting to the factory settings solve the problem? It sounds a little bit like being told to shut down and restart my computer irrespective of the specific problem. Not that I have any settings I'm afraid to lose but I don't want to do this if there's not a compelling reason to think this problem will be solved by it. Have you ever encountered the problem I've described?

" It sounds a little bit like being told to shut down and restart my computer irrespective of the specific problem. "

The reason that is a recommended action is that many times it resolves the issue. All it takes is a electrical surge or a static discharge to cause a random 0 to turn to 1 or vice versa to mess things up.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

It does all of what I have described with no memory card in the camera, as well. So it does not seem to be an issue of the memory card.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
“OK but why would resetting to the factory settings solve the problem? It sounds a little bit like being told to shut down and restart my computer irrespective of the specific problem. Not that I have any settings I'm afraid to lose but I don't want to do this if there's not a compelling reason to think this problem will be solved by it. Have you ever encountered the problem I've described?”

Seriously? Your camera is in an usable and unstable state. Isn’t that a sufficiently compelling reason for you?

You have also provided enough information to question the reliability of your memory card. I suggest that change to a new 32GB card from a name brand manufacturer. Buy a full size card, and do not buy one on Amazon.
--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements