cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

60D - "video recording has stopped automatically" - IT IS NOT THE SD CARD

Blobman
Contributor

Hi

been using 60D for many years and happily making videos.  In last 6 months I have found I cannot make videos; as cuts out after a few seconds with message "video recording has stopped automatically"

This is using SD cards I have always used before .......

Whatever, I bought two new cards.  64 GB.  Scandisk Extreme 90 MB/s.  |3| Class 10.  Same fault with  both new cards.

Thought maybe I had messed up a setting, so reset camera to factory settings through MENU.

Also tried reducing size of video to smallest option.   No joy.

What else can it be.......  😞

Thanks

Nigel

9 REPLIES 9

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

In your camera menu there is an option for a low level format. Try doing a low level format on each of your cards. 

396C4163-54B7-4941-8E5D-C1B20730EC8D.gif

30955855-3EAF-4857-818B-E57C4DB51923.gif

Also so try disabling the audio just for trouble shooting.  

Where did did you buy your cards? It s very common to see fake cards with lower write speeds being sold as premium cards.

Your Extreme cards say 90mb/s but that is the read speed. They have a much lower write speed. Extreme Pro cost more but have both read and write speeds of 95mb/s.

Mike Sowsun

Hey Mike

Thanks for the great suggestions.

[1] So did a low level format on my card - problem remains

[2]  Disabled Sound - problem now gone.

[3] Disabled Sound and used second card which had original format - problem gone.

So in summary, disabling sound solved problem, low level format did not.

I guess I could buy an Extreme Pro, but at the back of my mind is the thought that I never used to have this problem with an old card (Transcend, 8 GB, SDHC 10), but now that does not work either.  As said before to rule out the fact I may have messed with settings (not too hot on these things\) I re-set the camera to the factory settings

Nigel

Hi

Been down local camera shop.  They don't think it is the card.  They tried mine in another camera.  Checked mine out on their PC.   They really have no idea waht could be wrong.

N

Hi

Anyone ever found this fault is anything other than the SD card.  Reading around this fault seems to be a Achilles Heel of Canon cameras.

Nigel

If your old “good” card no longer works, then it sounds like the problem is the camera.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I have the same problem.

Its is not the card iswell.

I done the lower format - still didn't work.

Disabled sound and still no result.

However, everytime it about to stop, in the middel of the right edge a small glass like shape apears with 4 boxes filling up.

When it reacehs the top, thats when it stops. 

@Auris wrote:

I have the same problem.

Its is not the card iswell.

I done the lower format - still didn't work.

Disabled sound and still no result.

However, everytime it about to stop, in the middel of the right edge a small glass like shape apears with 4 boxes filling up.

When it reacehs the top, thats when it stops. 

I have bad news for you.  The problem is your memory card.  Does this page from the Instruction Manual show the [type] of display you are seeing with the four boxes?

553C5027-0BC0-434B-A518-023AF63D7257.jpeg

According to the Instruction Manual.  Your card is unable to keep with the write speed needed for recording video.  Make sure that you purchase memory cards from a reputable vendor or retailer. There are a lot of counterfeit cards being sold online, including on Amazon.  

28C8EDD2-4F4E-49AB-94F1-B78FC569C498.jpeg

I only use name brand full size SD memory cards.  Notice how these cards say UHS-I.  Do not use UHS-II cards, which are pretty common with SDXC memory cards, 64 GB or larger.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Just to update.  It was nothing to do with the SD card.

I took my camera to a Canon dealer and the problem was the main board, which they replaced for £300 odd quid. 

All good now

I checked everything out and i guess the best way to describe is; you have to use the lowest resolution otherwise it will not work.

Now i dont know if they did this by axcident or its a way of getting people to move on to new cameras. mine kept getting worse from having ro go low format to no audio to lower and lower res until this point

Announcements