cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

60D not recording sound!

Gabriel4CV
Apprentice

Hi there people,

This is my first post on the forum and as a programmer, I need to say it, Hello World.

But, getting back to the topic. I recently bought a used 60D, with approx. 10k clicks in a new shutter. As I don't have a lot of money, I buying the things in parts, so I am using some old Pentax lenses in the camera until I buy some Canon lens.

The camera works perfect, except for the audio in the video mode. It does not record any audio. The videos are all muted, the audio level is maxed out and audio meter show no signal. Even by the external mic input, the camera senses the connection of the mic (or my case, a aux. cable with a steady and known signal from a notebook) but shows no audio.

I already tried change settings and updating the firmware, but nothing seems to work.

Does anybody have an idea of what is going on? 😞 

8 REPLIES 8

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Are you verifying this on the computer or on the camera? I have heard that some cameras have problems playing back sound, but they play fine on the computer.

Hi kvbarkley,

Yes, I am seeing the videos on the computer. 😕

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

You mentioned using an external mic.  Was this an external "powered" microphone (like a Rode Videomic Pro?).

I wasn't sure by reading your post if you also tested the internal mic.  

If neither works... it makes me suspect the mic port is damaged.  Normally when you plug in an external mic then the camera uses only that microphone (it wont use the internal mic) but if that port is damaged, the camera may "think" an external mic is connected and thus doesn't use the internal mic (even though that mic isn't damaged) ... and of course using a real external mic may not be working if the port is damaged to the point that there's a connection problem.

This may require repair.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

He used a signal generator to inject a signal.

Hi TCampbell,

I tested the internal mic and for testing the external mic port I used a signal generator.

The plug seems not damaged. When I plug the P2 cable on it, the menu disable the Wind Filter option. So I think the camera know that something was connect, but captures no signal from it.

Sound recording menu option is set to Auto?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Hi John,

It's set to manual, with gain on maximum.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
Sounds like camera defect then.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements