cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

60D Err 01

rkrisi
Apprentice

Hello Everyone!

I have a Canon 60D camera with EFS 17-85mm lens. Today I tried shooting a picture with an aperture of 11 and Err 01 appered. When I take photos with f4.0-5.1 no problems seems to happen, and also my Tamron lens works normally. What can I do?

Update: and I have this problem only when the lens is between ~17-25mm

3 REPLIES 3

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

See:  http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2012/eos_error_msgs.shtml

Err 01 indicates a "camera to lens communication error".  

Since the other lens works fine, the issue is likely with the lens ... not the camera.  

Try cleaning the gold contacts on the lens... use a gentle cleaner and a soft cloth to clean the contacts (don't use a pencil eraser... the contacts have a gold plating but the plating is very thin... anything as abbrasive as a pencil erase can rub the gold plating off the contacts.)

On the camera side, the gold pins which make contact with the lens are all spring-loaded.  GENTLY push them and make sure they freely push in and spring right back.  Be careful not to touch mirror when you do this.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Thanks for the reply, I have tried cleaning the contacts with no success.

If the contacts on the camera side are springy (nothing is jammed), clean, and the camera side is also clean, then the fault is likely inside the lens itself.

Doing a bit of digging... there are a few different problems that show up with the lens... one is a problem with the flex-cable inside the lens, another is an issue with diaphgram blades (aperture blades), and lastly, sometimes the problem is in the focus motor itself.   You were having problems at f/11, but not at lower f-stops so it may be the aperture issue.

You'd have to contact Canon and decide if you want to send it in for repair.  

The good news is there is almost certainly nothing wrong with your camera body.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
Announcements