cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

60D Black Shadows

hazephotography
Apprentice

Recently took some images of a close friends one year old and noticed my shutter was closing very slowly during quick shots. 

4 days before my camera got a little wet during a small down pour. I turned off my camera during the session and covered it as much as i could. didnt turn it one for approx. 4 days after I took these images and noticed the black shadows.. '

the are not on all images .

any advice or suggestions?

equipment: Canon EOS 60D w/ 18-200mm

images were shot on creative auto

IMG_5301.JPG

8 REPLIES 8

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Let it dry for another week.  Try a different lens, too.  But, it looks like you may have a shutter problem in the making.  Do all of the shots have the identical dark shadow.  

Water usually causes electrical problems, not mechanical problems.  But, the shutter electronics could be fouled up, too.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I will try a different lens when I get home.
The shots aren't identical. Some times to the left side of the images as well. Mainly Bottom and left side only, none on the right or top.
I will post one of those images on here as well so you can view it.

belen.jpgThis is the other image , the black shadows are to the left

@hazephotography wrote:

belen.jpgThis is the other image , the black shadows are to the left

The "shadow" Is underexposure caused by a shutter blade being slow to get out of the way. That it's related to the fact that the camera got rained on is unproven, but it's a reasonable guess.

And it's on the same side of the frame in all of the examples you showed. That it's to the left of the subject in this one is a consequence of the orientation in which you held the camera.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Yeah don't kid yourself, its a bad shutter. IMHO, I would upgrade to the 80D before I had the shutter replaced on the old 60D.

And, more than likely it was getting it wet that caused it to fail.  Water and cameras don't do well together.  The rice in a bag never works and can make things worse if any rice dust gets inside. A warm, not hot, heating pad for a week or so is the best thing to try and I would do it even now.  You don't have anything to lose at this point. Open all doors or slots, remove battery, SD card, lens and lay it on the heating pad.

Looks like the perfect excuse to get the 80D. Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@hazephotography wrote:

Recently took some images of a close friends one year old and noticed my shutter was closing very slowly during quick shots. 

4 days before my camera got a little wet during a small down pour. I turned off my camera during the session and covered it as much as i could. didnt turn it one for approx. 4 days after I took these images and noticed the black shadows.. '

the are not on all images .

any advice or suggestions?

equipment: Canon EOS 60D w/ 18-200mm

images were shot on creative auto

IMG_5301.JPG

The evidence suggests a sticky shutter. Maybe the water caused some rust.

Enough water to cause that problem may have done other damage as well. You may need to have the camera professionally cleaned. Whether that, and possibly replacing the shutter, are worth the cost on a 60D is a decision you'd have to make.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Ok, I'll call my local camera exchange to get a cleaning done on it. Have never had that done.
When I got home that day I placed my camera body into a bag of rice for 48 hours, the day I took it out of the rice and turned it on it was making a clicking noise but the screen and af were acting normal...

So you would say it worth fixing on my 60D, I've heard certain cameras aren't worth the fix. I love my 60D but do plan to purchase a mark iii soon...

@hazephotography wrote:
Ok, I'll call my local camera exchange to get a cleaning done on it. Have never had that done.
When I got home that day I placed my camera body into a bag of rice for 48 hours, the day I took it out of the rice and turned it on it was making a clicking noise but the screen and af were acting normal...

So you would say it worth fixing on my 60D, I've heard certain cameras aren't worth the fix. I love my 60D but do plan to purchase a mark iii soon...

Show these samples to your local camera shop.  They should also tell you that your shutter is failing.  As noted, the dark spot on the left is a result of how the camera was oriented when you took the shot.  They should tell you that, too.

I do not hold high expectations for a complete and thorough professional cleaning to resolve the failing shutter.  It is likely not worth the expense of getting it repaired.  A used 60D goes for around $300 to $400, so that route just might cost less than a repair, assuming you can find someone to do it for you. Do not forget to include shipping and insurance in the repair cost.

The current replacement in the Canon lineup is the 80D.  It is the best bang for the buck camera in the DSLR lineup, IMHO.  It is sure to impress you.  I would avoid the 70D, though.  Too many users have reported main PCB failures.  Although Canon seems to be making good on repairing on what seems to be defect, who knows how long this will continue.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements