cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

60 D takes pictures on its' own

Bucktooth
Contributor

My 60D starts taking pictures when I put cable plug in the jack.  Worked fine last time that I used it. The remote box isn't even plugged into the other end of the cable.  Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

It sounds like your cable is shorted / bad.  

I have the Canon version.  I can tell you the camera side is a 2.5mm stereo headphone jack -- but not being sure which Vello remote you have (or being able to look at it) I don't know what the other side is.  When I look at their wireless "airwave" remote it looks like it has the same jack on both sides.

In any case, it's a _very_ simply mechanism.  There are three wires inside the cable and the "stereo headphone" style jack has 3 conductors on the post.  

If the shutter button is pressed half-way then the middle and end farthest from the tip create a connection.  If the button is pressed all the way, then all three create a connection (tip, middle, and base of the pin.)

If the camera stars triggering the shutter just becuase you plugged it in, then that means something is conducting across all pins -- and given that this doesn't happen unless the cable is connected, it almost certainly points to a short in the cable.  

Replace the cable.  You may have to contact Vello or a store that sells them. They do actually sell *just* the cable (without making you buy the whole remote to get one.)  This is because you can buy extra cables for cameras that require different types of connectors.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

ScottyP
Authority

Are they any good?

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

not really

TCampbell
Elite
Elite
Which cable? Are you referring to the USB cable that connects the camera to the computer or are you referring to a cable for the remote shutter release?
Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

the cable that goes to the shutter release.  Just putting the plug into the jack socket causes the camera to start firing pictures.

Ah... every shutter release cable I've used has a button lock.  It's primarily used when you put the camera into "bulb" mode and want to take a photo that lasts more than 30 seconds (normally the max time that you can set using the shutter dial) but it can also be used to cause the camera to take photos continuously if (a) the camera is in continuous shooting mode and (b) you lock the shutter release button on the remote release.

If you have the Canon RS-60E3 release (that's the one they suggest for your camera -- though others can be used) the button pushes in but can then slide upward into the lock position (and this holds the shutter button down for continuous shooting or for extended exposures if the camera is in "Bulb" mode.)

Check the button on the release and make sure it isn't "locked" (if the bright orange stripe is visible... it's locked).  Just slide the button down (to cover the bright orange stripe) and it will unlock.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Tim:  I have a Vello.  The camera acts the same whether I have the other end of the cable plugged into the shutter release control or not.  Almost like the plug just sliding into the camera will make some connection that sends it to taking pictures.  It was never damaged and worked the last time that I used it many months ago,  Camera appears to work OK without the cable attached.  Just eliminates using this feature.

Jerry

It sounds as if there is something wrong with the wiring of the cable release.

If you recently bought it, I'd return it for a replacement or perhaps for a Canon version.

Alan Myers

San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & PRINTROOM 

It sounds like your cable is shorted / bad.  

I have the Canon version.  I can tell you the camera side is a 2.5mm stereo headphone jack -- but not being sure which Vello remote you have (or being able to look at it) I don't know what the other side is.  When I look at their wireless "airwave" remote it looks like it has the same jack on both sides.

In any case, it's a _very_ simply mechanism.  There are three wires inside the cable and the "stereo headphone" style jack has 3 conductors on the post.  

If the shutter button is pressed half-way then the middle and end farthest from the tip create a connection.  If the button is pressed all the way, then all three create a connection (tip, middle, and base of the pin.)

If the camera stars triggering the shutter just becuase you plugged it in, then that means something is conducting across all pins -- and given that this doesn't happen unless the cable is connected, it almost certainly points to a short in the cable.  

Replace the cable.  You may have to contact Vello or a store that sells them. They do actually sell *just* the cable (without making you buy the whole remote to get one.)  This is because you can buy extra cables for cameras that require different types of connectors.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

thanks.  I am hoping to let a fellow camera club member plug it it in his 60D at the next meeting.

Jerry 

Announcements