cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5ds R date/time resetting when battery swapped

magyarw
Apprentice

I just had my 5ds R serviced by canon for an unrelated issue. Since getting the camera back, every time I switch batteries, the camera resets the date and time. It also seems to resets to different dates/ times. Sometimes it's 1999/01/01 and today it reset to 2015/01/01. Also, the date and time stamp for each image are not in sequential order so when I look through downloaded images on my computer they are not in the order they were taken in.  

I am aware that leaving the battery out of the camera for a few minutes can reset the date and time but I am swapping for a fresh battery immediately so a battery is only out of the camera for a few seconds.   It's my understanding that these cameras don't have a separate battery for the date/time so I am unsure of how to fix this problem. I've had this camera for a few years and never had this happen before. I know that canon updated the firmware when the camera was serviced, could that have something to do with it?

Any help would be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

BurnUnit
Whiz
Whiz

Are they Canon batteries? Regardless of brand, does the camera allow you to "register" the batteries to the camera body?

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

The 5DS, 5DS R and probably a lot of other Canon camera bodies use a "super capacitor" as a backup power source for the clock.  It is basically just a large value capacitor with low leakage.  When the camera battery is installed, the capacitor is charged and when the battery is removed the capacitor supplies voltage to the clock/calendar circuit to keep it alive.

IF the battery is left out for a long period of time, then the capacitor will fully discharge and you will have to reset the clock.  It should be good for at least a couple of weeks.  If not, then the capacitor has deteriorated with age or there is a fault in the circuit causing additional drain.

I just replaced one of these style of caps in a clock radio last month but it lasted 12 years so that was a decent life.  This capacitor method has been a very common backup method for a couple of decades.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video
Announcements