cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5dmk3 issues

dreams2reality
Apprentice

I’ve hired the 5dmk3 and was looking at purchasing one maybe next week.

I have taken some test shots (RAW) and taken them into Adobe Camera Raw to look at.
Strangely the default settings aren't set to Zero?
Im using Camera Raw 8.3 for CS6.
I shot in Neutral. The blacks slider is at +72, highlights -32, the vibrance is set at +58, the Sharpening tab defaults to +78 instead of +25 it also boosts the Luminance? In the tone curve tab the shadows are down -26. These all should default to zero apart for the sharpen which is 25. I’ve reset the camera settings and it still does this.

Is this the new normal? Seems like the 5d3 is cheating if this is the case.
When I return the sharpening to 25 and zero the photos look like they have had noise reduction and are soft. I have the noise reduction off in camera too.

Im now not sure if i should get this camera?
or is this just a bad hired model?

Anyone know why it defaults like this and whether I can change it?

Also if anyone else finds the mk3 to be soft? Im using the canon 24-70L lense and used the same lens on my mk2 and the mk2 seems sharper.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

In addition, when you hold down the ALT key to reset, you only reset it to DEFAULT. But your DEFAULT value is different than ZERO. That's why no matter what you do, it will not go back to zero as you like. In order to do that, you need to RESET YOUR DEFAULT settings.

resetACR.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

The 5D3 lets you set the color space to either sRGB (the default) or Adobe RGB. Maybe your rented camera is set to Adobe RGB, but Lightroom doesn't realize it. Or maybe it does, and the different settings are its way of giving you consistent results across the two color spaces.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

hsbn
Whiz
This has nothing to do with your camera. It's your default ACR settings. You can reset it by holding the shift key down I think.

When you shoot RAW and open it using third party software like ACR, all in-camera setting will be IGNORED with the exception of White Balance. Also sRGB or Adobe RGB has no effect on RAW file.

That is the reason why, when people shoot RAW and use third party software they want to set everything to neutral so when viewing it in camera will have the same look as in third party software.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

dreams2reality
Apprentice

Thanks for your replies!

It doesn't have anything to do with the chosen color palette but thanks for the thought.

As for ACR's settings, I see now options to change the defaults?

If I open a RAW file from my 5dmk2 the defaults are all zero but when opening any Mk3 file it has the settings mentioned.

Even if I hold down alt/option key to reset. it just defaults to those settings mentioned again.
?????

Could it be a ACR issue with not handling Mk3 files correctly?
Or is it the file itself scripted out of camera to default to these settings to make it appear better than it actually is SOOC?

Then make sure under Preferences (CTRL+K) "Apply Auto Adjustment" is not checked.

In ACR, default adjustment is camera and/or ISO based. So 5DMII can have different default settings compare to 5DMIII.

In addition, when you hold down the ALT key to reset, you only reset it to DEFAULT. But your DEFAULT value is different than ZERO. That's why no matter what you do, it will not go back to zero as you like. In order to do that, you need to RESET YOUR DEFAULT settings.

resetACR.jpg

hsbn you are a legend! Thaks for the help! That reset helped with the default settings issue!

Announcements