cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5d mk3 picture problem

sziatee
Apprentice

Hi all!

I would like to ask for you help. I just gut my new (used) camera (5dmk3) with two lenses (50mm f1.4 and 135mm f2).

I shooted lots of photos and noticed some kind of ripple effects on my photos. 

I attached two photos of these. 

with 50mm f1.4, you can see the effect at eye level

ancsa.jpg

with 135mm f2 you can see the effect on top left corner

gergo.jpg

Any opinion what is the problem with my camera? I got it to the service, but they have no idea whats wrong with it.

I didnt use filters on my lenses, didnt use hdr option, and there were no anything between the subject and lenses.

Thank you

Attila

5 REPLIES 5

What do you mean by "ripple effects"? I see nothing wrong (except that the first picture needs fill flash to brighten the subject's face). In each case the subject is in focus and the background isn't. If that's not what you wanted, use a narrower aperture.

You told us you just got the camera, but you said nothing about your own experience level. Are you familiar with how to control depth of field? If not, you need to do some reading.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@sziatee wrote:

Hi all!

I would like to ask for you help. I just gut my new (used) camera (5dmk3) with two lenses (50mm f1.4 and 135mm f2).

I shooted lots of photos and noticed some kind of ripple effects on my photos. 

I attached two photos of these. 

with 50mm f1.4, you can see the effect at eye level

ancsa.jpg

with 135mm f2 you can see the effect on top left corner

gergo.jpg

Any opinion what is the problem with my camera? I got it to the service, but they have no idea whats wrong with it.

I didnt use filters on my lenses, didnt use hdr option, and there were no anything between the subject and lenses.

Thank you

Attila

Looks like digital sharpening artifacts. 

If you are uing Lightroom avoid using global sharpening settings like 'Clarity' that also 'sharpen' the bokeh. 

The way to avoid this is to use Masking to apply a heavy sharpening mask in Lightroom so you don't sharpen even areas.

lr 1.jpg

By pressing and holding the 'ALT' key, while moving the 'Masking' slider you can see what is being masked. Black areas will not be sharpened.

LR sharpening 1.png

Smooth unsharpened bokeh.

LR sharpening 2.jpg

Typically when using a heavy mask I set sharpening to 100. By using a heavy mask I can keep my noise reduction settings lower. My Noise Reduction settings are usually Luminance between 10-25, Contrast is set to match, i.e. 10-25, and Color is set to twice the Luminance value i.e.  20-50. I leave Detail and Smoothness at their defaults. 

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I shooted shot lots of photos and noticed some kind of ripple effects on my photos."

I doubt the first two replies are correct or help but I must say I don't really have a good answer either.  You say, no filter, no heavy post processing (no exif Smiley Frustrated either ?) and it happens with either lens on all your shots?

Let's do the basics.  Reset the 5d3 to factory.  You should have anyway on a 'new' used camera.  Buy a new high quality CF card (you should have anyway), format in the 5d3.  Set the mode to P, set the ISO to 100, Average WB.  Mount the ef 50mmf1.4 (you do mean you got the "Canon" ef 50mm f1.4 lens?).  Use a tripod (preferred) go outside and take some shots on a clear sunlighted day of several subjects.  Near and far.  Do no post processing.

Check the results and get back to us.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"I shooted shot lots of photos and noticed some kind of ripple effects on my photos."

I doubt the first two replies are correct or help but I must say I don't really have a good answer either.  You say, no filter, no heavy post processing (no exif Smiley Frustrated either ?) and it happens with either lens on all your shots?

He actually said no HDR, not no heavy post processing. 

Without knowing what software he's using it is hard to say. But, to me it looks like a post processing induced issue one way or another. 

"... to me it looks like a post processing induced issue one way or another."

I don't disagree.  But, I would like the test done I suggested and clearly, no heavy processing.  It is always a good idea to go back to square one when things don't come out as expected.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements