cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5d mk III RAW issue

andreicraciun
Contributor

DPP_output_from_RAW.JPGLR5_output_from_RAW.jpg

Hey, i'm experiencing issues with the RAW files. I think there might be a sensor problem because i tested the original file on another computer and it's the same. Attached here, u have the same raw file exported in Digital camera Proffesional and Lightroom 5.

I'm a professional photographer and every now and then, i get this kind of errors. I usually shoot RAW+JPEG low and the weird thing is that the jpg file out of the camera does not contain any errors, only the RAW file does.

I tested everithing, from different batteries, different cards, different lenses, with/without battery grip and that problem still persists. Every 200-300-400 images one raw file is corrupt.

I cannot afford loosing images. Can somebody tell me if this is a random error everybody gets or is it a service issue and i should get my camera checked right away?

Thanks.

28 REPLIES 28

"But they do have a financial incentive to choose not to do so because it forces an upgrade."

And you find this unbelievable?  This is called profit.  They have to stop support at some point.  All companies do. 

If they put out one product that worked forever how long would they be in business? Just think if Canon made one camera that lasted forever.  It is the same thing. No new innovations. No research. Just the same ole thing.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

andreicraciun
Contributor
Well this is indeed weird. Allthough, in my situation, i've tested the raw files on another computer from a friend which has DPP not installed, and the problem was still present.
You got me thinking here.
I will try to install an older version of DPP, maby this will fix it. Allthough, i don't understand why lightroom shows the error aswell. I will keep you informed about the results the next days.

andreicraciun
Contributor
Ah, what do you mean by Canon RAW SW? 🙂 don't know the meaning 🙂

SW = software (I think)

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Yes, I assumed SW to mean software, too. How are you getting the files from the camera into your computer? Maybe the transfer process is corrupting the larger files somehow. Try removing the card from the camera, and reading them directly with your computer.

You could also have bad sectors on your hard drive, which are being used to buffer the larger RAW files as they are transferred. In fact, I can dream up an entire host of possibilities, but that isn't troubleshooting. The proper way to troubleshoot is to eliminate possibilities, not look for them. Try reading the card directly with your PC.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

My suspicion falls on the common component: the Canon RAW component (driver, codec, etc.).  This component is used by Photoshop, Lightroom, and DPP.   Whenever one installs any app that reads Canon RAW files, the Canon RAW component is usually automatically installed.  My logic:  

1) The problem first appeared to me just minutes after I installed the latest DPP on the Canon support site.  

2) The images that appear corrupted are two years old, and I know that these images were fine before I installed DPP.  The images are on my hard drive and have not been changed/moved since before I installed DPP.  

3) Lightroom and Photoshop both are seeing the corruption now since I installed DPP.  

4) Further clues are provided by carefully watching the images load on 100% zoom.  A slightly fuzzy but accurate image is shown for a fraction of a second, then the fully detailed image comes into view.   It is in this final pass that the corrution appears on the screen.   If the failure was caused by a bad disk (for example), the corruption would likely happen at random parts of the RAW files when comparing multiple images.  However, the failure is always in the same area: in the high-res loading of the image.

The problem is not, however, affecting all RAW files.  Only a small fraction.  I have over 20,000 files and is hard for me to find the impacted images without stepping through each file.   I have not been able to find any other common ingredient that distinguishes the images with the problem from those without it.

What I have tried:  I have uninstalled every Canon app that I had installed on my machine (Win 7 64 bit).  I unstalled all Adobe apps.  I then reinstalled just Lightroom.   The problem remains.  I have not gone so far as to research if I need to mess with my Windows registry to attempt to disable the Canon RAW component. 

What else could this be?  It is possible that Adobe could be the culprit.  I have the CC subscription and it is possibe that there was a fix that Adobe posted at about the same time that I did the DPP install yesterday.  

BTW, this is one really strong reason why switching away from RAW files to a DNG file format is a good thing.  The DNG format is open-source and has many more sets of eyeballs looking at the quality of the DNG drivers.   The Canon RAW driver is fully-owned by Canon and if Canon developers mess it up, then your entire catalog is in jeopardy.

@DuaneIndeed wrote:

My suspicion falls on the common component: the Canon RAW component (driver, codec, etc.).  This component is used by Photoshop, Lightroom, and DPP.   Whenever one installs any app that reads Canon RAW files, the Canon RAW component is usually automatically installed.  My logic:  

1) The problem first appeared to me just minutes after I installed the latest DPP on the Canon support site.  

2) The images that appear corrupted are two years old, and I know that these images were fine before I installed DPP.  The images are on my hard drive and have not been changed/moved since before I installed DPP.  

3) Lightroom and Photoshop both are seeing the corruption now since I installed DPP.  

4) Further clues are provided by carefully watching the images load on 100% zoom.  A slightly fuzzy but accurate image is shown for a fraction of a second, then the fully detailed image comes into view.   It is in this final pass that the corrution appears on the screen.   If the failure was caused by a bad disk (for example), the corruption would likely happen at random parts of the RAW files when comparing multiple images.  However, the failure is always in the same area: in the high-res loading of the image.

The problem is not, however, affecting all RAW files.  Only a small fraction.  I have over 20,000 files and is hard for me to find the impacted images without stepping through each file.   I have not been able to find any other common ingredient that distinguishes the images with the problem from those without it.

What I have tried:  I have uninstalled every Canon app that I had installed on my machine (Win 7 64 bit).  I unstalled all Adobe apps.  I then reinstalled just Lightroom.   The problem remains.  I have not gone so far as to research if I need to mess with my Windows registry to attempt to disable the Canon RAW component. 

What else could this be?  It is possible that Adobe could be the culprit.  I have the CC subscription and it is possibe that there was a fix that Adobe posted at about the same time that I did the DPP install yesterday.  

BTW, this is one really strong reason why switching away from RAW files to a DNG file format is a good thing.  The DNG format is open-source and has many more sets of eyeballs looking at the quality of the DNG drivers.   The Canon RAW driver is fully-owned by Canon and if Canon developers mess it up, then your entire catalog is in jeopardy.

Since you're using Windows, there's one possibility that occurs to me. If, in Windows, you click on the Properties tab of an image file and then the Details tab, you'll find some components that you can edit: Title, Subject, Comments, etc. I recall trying to use those on RAW (.CR2) files and finding that they corrupted the image. Apparently the Windows properties conflict with the Exif data in Canon's RAW files. Once I avoided using them, I've had no more problems with corrupted RAW files.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

andreicraciun
Contributor
Wait a second, you didn't specify one thing. The RAW files look ok in DPP? because in my case, DPP shows the files corrupted aswell.

@andreicraciun wrote:
Wait a second, you didn't specify one thing. The RAW files look ok in DPP? because in my case, DPP shows the files corrupted aswell.

No, DPP is the editor I use for all my RAW files, and it wouldn't read them. But the problem occurred only if I had entered values for some of the Windows-specific settings on the RAW files.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements