cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5d mark2 is it me or is the camera broken?

lsalort
Apprentice
Brand new to this, going through the menu to set up camera to shoot video and the lcd monitor goes black. Battery is fully charged and the menu on top of the camera works. I've taken out cf card and battery and tried to restart but the monitor remains black???
13 REPLIES 13

ezpop
Rising Star

Does the LCD go black only in video mode ? If it works in liveview shooting or if it works to display menu etc, you may see if the lens cap has been removed or if the exposure settings are correct.

lsalort
Apprentice
I can't get the lcd monitor to turn on at all

Press the DISP button.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

sorry to be dense but where is the DISP button?

try the info button. Or carry it to a local camera store and ask the people there.

On the the 5D II that button is labeled DISP.  Oddly, Canon labels it DISP on some models and INFO on others.  

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

@TCampbell wrote:

On the the 5D II that button is labeled DISP.  Oddly, Canon labels it DISP on some models and INFO on others.  

The INFO button on my 6D toggles between three screens, one of them is the built-in level. It also changes the display format when playing back saved images, when the camera is in image playback mode.

On entry level Rebes, like a T5, the DISP button shows just one screen that shows the status of the camera, but it also can be used to turn off the LCD screen when the camera is in other modes.  Likewise, the DISP can toggle between display format during image playback.

Basically, the buttons provide similar functions, but  the INFO button provides a bit more.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

it says info on mine.

I figured out what the problem was and it will show how much more i have to learn.

I plugged the mic into the av out. It makes the lcd screen go blank.

I learned a lot trying to fugure this out!!

That is because the internal LCD goes black when you view the video on a screen. HDMI does this, too.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements