cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5d mark iv cleaning

mikehorb
Apprentice

when i look through the viewfinder, i see some debris.  it is not appearing on my pictures so i can assume that it is not on my sensor.  i believe the debris is on the top internal component.  i'm not sure what its called.  it doesn't appear to be a mirror.  it seems to have very fine ridges.  i used an approved sensor swab and liquid.  that doesn't seem to get it all off.  it almost seems like it is attracting debris, i.e. static cling.  is that by design?  in any case, what is the recommended way to clean that component?  and what is its official name?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@mikehorbwrote:

when i look through the viewfinder, i see some debris.  it is not appearing on my pictures so i can assume that it is not on my sensor.  i believe the debris is on the top internal component.  i'm not sure what its called.  it doesn't appear to be a mirror.  it seems to have very fine ridges.  i used an approved sensor swab and liquid.  that doesn't seem to get it all off.  it almost seems like it is attracting debris, i.e. static cling.  is that by design?  in any case, what is the recommended way to clean that component?  and what is its official name?

What your camera needs is a good Canon cleaning. If the camera is still under warranty, they'll probably do it free. (They did for me when one of my 7D's arrived with gunk in the viewfinder as you describe.) If you're a CPS Gold member, you get five (lens or body) cleanings a year with your membership. You won't believe how good your camera will look.

Warning: They'll reset all your settings, so be sure to write those down before you send the camera in.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

That part is called the Focus Screen. Dust on the focus screen is usually inside and difficult to remove. All you should attempt to do is use a squeeze bulb dust blower to try and remove surface dust.

The next step involves removing the focus screen from the camera and that is generally too difficult for the average user.

Mike Sowsun

i'll try the bulb blower. do i use the bulb blower to suck in? or blow out? if i blow out, won't it circulate inside the camera and may jump to the sensor?

Unless the dust is enough to actually interfere with normal usage of the camera I would leave it alone rather than try the blower because there is a good chance you will get dust where it WILL cause an issue.  This is a case where a minor annoyance can easily be turned into a real problem.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

@mikehorbwrote:

What your camera needs is a good Canon cleaning. If the camera is still under warranty, they'll probably do it free. (They did for me when one of my 7D's arrived with gunk in the viewfinder as you describe.) If you're a CPS Gold member, you get five (lens or body) cleanings a year with your membership. You won't believe how good your camera will look.

Warning: They'll reset all your settings, so be sure to write those down before you send the camera in.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Don't mess with it.  The Mk IV isn't like the older 5D's.  Send it to Canon for a C&C like Robert has suggested.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements