Did you mean: 

5d mark iii unresponsive

trnelson
Apprentice

Hello:

Situation:

5D Mark iii is partially unresponsive.

Background:

I was at Isle Royale last week shooting wildlife and landscape.  The morning prior to leaving, I was shooting a family of ducks.  My 32GB SanDisk Exstreme Pro CF card was nearly full, but the backup on bay 2, a 16GB SD SanDisk Ultra SD card, was empty.  I have the camera set up to automatically switch cards when the CF card is full.  I anticipated the camera to automatically switch over, but it did not.  Instead, it remained on bay 1.  Furthermore, the camera became partially unsponsive.  More specifically:

-The quick select dial is not working

- Occasionally, the main display will not work (cannot see menus, the quick control button does not activate the quick control screen, cannot see images, etc.  Occasionally however, the screen does seem to work.  I cannot consistently repeat this condition.

- When I shut power off, the LCD status panel will occasionally remain lit.  Obviously, if I pull the battery, it turns off

- I cannot activate the live viiew mode (which I never do - just commenting as an additional symptom)

I have tried changing cards, batteries, etc, but the problem remains.

Prior to this issue, the camera has been flawless.

Also, please note that the camera did take a fall about 4 days earlier while attached to a tripod.  However, after the fall, the camera worked flawlessly until the above issue occured.  Also, this was a kayaking trip, and there was occasional water droplet exposure whiile paddling (nothing more that droplets equivalent to raindrops).  The camera was not submergerged and was not exposed to excessive water.  I did try to 'dry it out' by allowing it to sit in the sun for a while.  I did note some condensation in the LCD status panel, but this quickly dissipated.  Despite this, the condition remains.  I doubt the water exposure is related to the issue at hand.

Also of note, the same cards have been used extensively in the past without issue.  In addition, the camera has previously switched bays as expected in the condition that the CF card in bay 1 is full.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Yes, indeed.  It is the most plausible explanation.  I was hoping (silly, I realize) that someone out there had information re a known error/bug related to the card issues.  Disappointing.  However, I take comfort in feeling lucky enough to have the failure occur at the tail-end of the excursion, hours prior to leaving.  Glad I was able to get those killer shots of moose, loons, ducks, otters, beavers, etc...

In it goes...

T.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

"Also of note, the same cards have been used extensively in the past without issue.  In addition, the camera has previously switched bays as expected in the condition that the CF card in bay 1 is full.

Any ideas?"

Your card is full.  Try one, or two, new ones of the SAME size.  I don't know if differing sizes makes a difference, but why not match them up. 

As for the fall, anything is possible.  Get a new card into the camera.  Having a spare one on hand doesn't hurt, anyway.  I would try to reset the camera, if the camera wakes up enough to allow that to action to be performed.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks for your ideas.

I did try a new, fresh, card.  Same problem.  Also tried a fresh battery.

Yes, the fall is definately suspicious, although strange it worked flawlessly for 4 days prior to the problem, and that the problem developed at the exact time that the camera was supposed to switch cards.

I do not know how to reset the camera, but I will fish out the instruction manual or refer to the Davic Busch guide.

Thanks.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

You really answered your own question. You tried the quick easy stuff.  No need to suggest further.  The camera is broken and will require a call to Canon service.  We both know that. Don't we? Smiley Sad

Water and a DSLR do not mix well.  And this was a big mistake, "I did try to 'dry it out' by allowing it to sit in the sun for a while"  When you call Canon service make sure you tell them about both.  The water and the Sun.

It is possible the fall loosened or cracked some water seals.  Make sure you mention the fall, too.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@trnelson wrote:

I did note some condensation in the LCD status panel, but this quickly dissipated.  Despite this, the condition remains.  I doubt the water exposure is related to the issue at hand.

The condensation means that water got inside the camera.

Why would you think that getting water inside your camera couldn't cause problems 4 days later?

Yes, indeed.  It is the most plausible explanation.  I was hoping (silly, I realize) that someone out there had information re a known error/bug related to the card issues.  Disappointing.  However, I take comfort in feeling lucky enough to have the failure occur at the tail-end of the excursion, hours prior to leaving.  Glad I was able to get those killer shots of moose, loons, ducks, otters, beavers, etc...

In it goes...

T.

Announcements