cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5d mark III focusing slowly/etc. in low light wedding receptions

ejder
Contributor

I've been using 5d2s for a long time because I am simply not rich enough (and I don't want the huge body either) to buy 1d-series cameras for work. I've shot about 20 weddings with the 5d3 since I bought it, and I finally sent it in to Canon the other day for an autofocus checkup.

My #1 issue is reception autofocus. My 5d2s beat my 5d3 at reception focusing (with 580EX AF assist always used). They are more reliable for AI servo and faster for one-shot.

My 5d3 struggles to acquire in one-shot, taking probably close to 2 real seconds (it feels like forever) to establish and confirm a lock on a static subject during wedding receptions with lenses like 24L II, 35L, 50L. In contrast, in the exact same lighting conditions and with the same lenses and flash AF assist, my 5d2s all snap right to focus and I click the shutter within about 1 second or less, getting an in-focus image about 90-95% of the time.

With AI servo, the 5d3 is just inferior to my 5d2s in low light. I was hoping, one day, to get a camera that would give me the ability to track subjects well during processionals/grand entrances/reception dances using the outer points, because I'm pretty tired of being stuck with center-point framing for these situations. I thought the 5d3 was supposed to solve that problem, but in fact it took a step backward in low light AI servo accuracy and locking. My 5d2s (center point) both acquire faster and track better in low light than my 5d3 (center point also).

After sending the 5d3 in to get it checked (and so they could charge me $175+), I got a nice copy of the page saying that the camera focus in low light is blah blah etc. etc. use AF assist (which I had noted I did) and the overall feeling was that they were very condescending and disregarding of my equipment issue. To me, a $3500 camera should perform better than a camera that is now worth ~$1300...and so the 5d3 performs arguably better in GOOD light, simply because it has more focus points to choose from which are generally pretty accurate - in GOOD light. However, it performs worse in reception light. Wedding photographers will understand what I mean by reception light.

My 5d2 AI servo is not useless during receptions, but my 5d3 AI servo struggles more in the same reception lighting. My 5d2 one-shot locks quickly and pretty accurately during receptions, while my 5d3 takes significantly longer in one-shot to lock, and sometimes it gives me pretty wild misses, during receptions. Always using AF assist with 580EX, and btw the 5d3 firmware is the latest version (1.2.3 at this time). The camera simply focuses slower during receptions than my 5d2s, and AI servo misses more. 

I also don't like that AF points don't light up before focusing, but this is less important to me than a fast, responsive AF system for wedding receptions. I have had to put away the 5d3 on multiple occasions and bring out a second 5d2 for wedding receptions just so I can get good dancing photos, good speech/toasting photos, etc., before all the key moments went by and ohhhh too late, my focus system didn't lock in time...

I have been having this issue with 5d3 performance since I bought it close to a year ago. I do wedding photography primarily, and I have quite a bit of experience shooting weddings and dealing with the various demands of weddings.

Most of my AF experience is with single point, with only a few experiences using the expansion settings.  I have never had trouble locking or tracking with single point with my 5d2s as long as there was enough light to do it, and being used to that I expected the 5d3 to be able to perform at LEAST comparably.  It does not.

At this point, this critical functional limitation of the 5d3 has left me very dissatisfied with the camera.  I thought upgrades were supposed to do everything just as well or better than the previous version, but this newest camera has shown me that more AF points definitely does NOT mean a better (or even comparable) AF system in every situation.  Clearly something was traded off when they added a ton of cross-type points, like low light acquisition speed and being able to see your AF points illuminate when you start AF.

I've been playing around with Nikon equipment for a while and am beginning to think that is my forced alternative.  I don't like the things I hear about Nikon customer support, and I don't really like the direction they are going with some of their releases or how they handled function issues (focus issues with off-center focus points, oil on sensors, etc.) but Canon isn't innocent of that stuff either.  And if I use an all-Nikon setup then I will have excellent dynamic range at low ISOs as well.  Too bad Nikon doesn't have the glass I like best (35L, 85L, etc.)...but compromises must be made in some direction, and I'm intensely frustrated with Canon's latest cameras' focusing systems in low light.

It's very specific, mind you: Low light performance is inferior to my 5d2s.  In good light, my 5d3 has better AF flexibility for tracking with outer points, and the one-shot focus acquisition is comparable to my 5d2s.

20 REPLIES 20

@linbs wrote:

I don't think this is the point. Camera obscura didn't have any focusing at all and no AV mode and people still managed take pictures... We are talking about modern cameras and what they are supposed to do. 5D III obviously failed... I am shooting in low light conditions (concerts, music clubs etc.) where using a flash is not an option, I shot few times with a borrowed D3 (Nikon as you understand) and didn't have a slightest problem at all. With Canon it is a nightmare. I tried all the possible advices and setting variations. It just doesn't do it. At least so far I couldn't find any usefull advice how to do it...

This is probably not a good example since the Camera Obscura could be moved (it was basically a room), it required a considerable amount of light (subjects typically needed to be in full sunlight), and the images were horribly blurred.  Back in the days before autofocus (because I did a lot of weddings back in those days), there were a lot of techniques we used to come away with good results when we couldn't rely on the equipment to get the results.  The cameras didn't have auto-focus, period... so focus was all on the us.

But rather than missing the good old days of photography... I'm much happier with our modern equipment.  The "keeper" ratio is much better.  

In technical specs the 5D III can focus down to EV -2.  That's pretty dark and very few cameras outperform that (although the 6D can focus down to EV -3 it's focusing system isn't nearly as versatile as the 5D III.)  In comparison, the Nikon D3 only goes down to -1 -- it cannot lock focus in the low light situations that a 5D III can handle.   The 5D III can focus with literally just half as much light as the D3.  The 6D can focus with literally just 1/4 as much light as the D3. 

I cannot explain why a particular user had an issue in a particular situation unless I am there to see what they are doing.  I can only say that the 5D III is a more "technical" camera... it does not have the simplisitc focus system of the 5D II, so there's a lot of room for operator error by choosing settings which aren't ideal for the situation at hand.  I do know that my 5D III has served me well and while I now shoot with a 5D IV, I still have my 5D III.  I recall shooting baby lambs within minutes of being born in the basement of an old barn.  It was very very dark, and yet... the camera nailed the focus without fuss (basically a situation I probably wouldn't even try with previous eqiupment).  If you own a 600EX series or 580EX series or 430EX series Canon Speedlite, you can attach it, turn it on, then tell the camera to "disable" the flash.  It will still use the focus assist beam on the flash to help it lock focus but the flash itself will not fire (just don't forget you set the camera to "disable" the flash or you'll be wondering why the flash isn't working the next time you need it.)

If you haven't already done so, download the AF setting guidebook for this camera (this is information which is not in the owner's manual).  

You can grab a copy here:  

http://cpn.canon-europe.com/files/product/cameras/eos_5d_mark_iii/AF_guide_EOS5D_MarkIII_eng_January...

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
Announcements